PDA

Επιστροφή στο Forum : H ακτοπλοϊα πριν 100 χρόνια (1908) [International Lines in Greece 100 Years Ago]

Nicholas Peppas
04-03-2009, 06:33
INTERNATIONAL PASSENGER LINES SERVING GREECE 100 YEARS AGO

Rather than wait for a longer article, I will upload several other documents that present the state of international passenger lines passing through Greece in 1908. Once more, this is information I got from the Handbuch fuer Reisende von Karl Baedeker or Handbook for Travelers by Karl Baedeker, in its fifth edition in 1908, published by the Baedeker Publishing House in Leipzig, Germany.

First, here is a map depicting all domestic and international lines in Greece in 1908. Continuous lines indicate an international passenger line, while dashed lines indicate a Greek line. Small red numbers indicate:
1= German; 2= Austrian; 3=Italian; 4= Russian; 5= French; 6= Romanian; 7= Egyptian

Once more, this is information I got from the Handbuch fuer Reisende von Karl Baedeker or Handbook for Travelers by Karl Baedeker, in its fifth edition in 1908, published by the Baedeker Publishing House in Leipzig, Germany.

The first insert gives a general description of passenger liners (especialy Greek) on page xviii. Then, in the next page it discusses the Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen Linie, concentrating on the Marseilles-Genova-Naples-Piraeus-Smyrna-Constantinople run. It indicates that further freight steamships of the Deutsche Levante Linie do the Hamburg-Malta-Piraeus-Smyrna-Constantinople run...

The second company described is Lloyd Austriaco, what would become Cosulich later... Runs discussed are Trieste-Brindisi-Corfu-Patras-Piraeus-Constantinople.

The second insert features additional lines of Lloyd Austriaco including the run Trieste-Aghioi Saranta-Chania-Rethymnon-Herakleion-Piraeus-Volos-Thessaloniki-Constantinople

Another featured Line is the Navigazione Generale Italiana of Rome with service from Catania to Chania-Piraeus-Thessaloniki-Smyrna and Constantinople. Additional routes are virtually the same as Lloyd Austriaco's

The Russian Lines of Odessa were doing the run Odessa-Constantinople-Piraeus-Alexandria or Chania

The French Messageries Maritimes were running routes with unusual stops, one going from Marseilles to Patras and then Chania or Kalamata (every second week), Syros, Thessaloniki, and Constantinople. Another route was from Marseilles to Piraeus-Smyrna-Constantinople-Samsous-Trabezous-Batum

Finally the Egyptian Khedivial Mail Lines were running the route Alexandria-Piraeus-Smyrna-Constantinople

Enjoy!

Appia_1978
04-03-2009, 17:17
Μάλιστα, το Αυστριακό Lloyd στο Αργοστόλι :o

Nicholas Peppas
04-03-2009, 18:06
Μάλιστα, το Αυστριακό Lloyd στο Αργοστόλι :o
Thanks for pointing it out. I had not noticed... In fact, it says "via Zante-Kalamata" or "via Argostoli-Kalamata". Do you know what this means? That the Ionian islands had a very active population that traveled to Italy! My personal feeling is that after World War I the epicenter of Greece moved to the East and the Ionian islands lost in national recognition.... Pity!

Trakman
04-03-2009, 18:16
Μου αρέσει πολύ το δρομολόγιο Trieste-Aghioi Saranta-Chania-Rethymnon-Herakleion-Piraeus-Volos-Thessaloniki-Constantinople. Ιδανικό σήμερα σαν κρουαζιέρα, ε?!?!;):D

Nicholas Peppas
04-03-2009, 18:24
Μου αρέσει πολύ το δρομολόγιο Trieste-Aghioi Saranta-Chania-Rethymnon-Herakleion-Piraeus-Volos-Thessaloniki-Constantinople. Ιδανικό σήμερα σαν κρουαζιέρα, ε?!?!

I agree. But for me there is another hint here. 1908 was still "our time of innocence". People seemed to travel without concern for national borders... Of course one could say that of all these ports of call, only Piraeus and Volos were truly Greek while the others were Ottoman or Ottoman-dependent.. be that as it may, I do not know when we had service between A. Saranta and Greece (maybe we do now between Aghioi Saranta and Corfu and I do not know it)

Trakman
04-03-2009, 19:12
I agree. But for me there is another hint here. 1908 was still "our time of innocence". People seemed to travel without concern for national borders... Of course one could say that of all these ports of call, only Piraeus and Volos were truly Greek while the others were Ottoman or Ottoman-dependent.. be that as it may, I do not know when we had service between A. Saranta and Greece (maybe we do now between Aghioi Saranta and Corfu and I do not know it)

Έχεις ένα δίκιο σ'αυτό που λες! Ωστόσο σήμερα το ότι δε γίνονται τέτοια δρομολόγια νομίζω έχει να κάνει κυρίως με το αν συμφέρει οικονομικά τις εκάστοτε εταιρείες, και με το είδος του σύγχρονου εμπορίου, και λιγότερο με το θέμα των συνόρων! Κακά τα ψέματα σήμερα οι ακτοπλοΐκές εταιρείες "επιζούν" κυρίως λόγω μεταφοράς εμπορευμάτων (νταλίκες), και όχι και τόσο επιβατών. Ένα δρομολόγιο λοιπόν όπως το παραπάνω δε θα είχε νομίζω σήμερα οφέλη για τις εταιρείες όταν υπάρχουν αυτοκινητόδρομοι μέσω τον οποίων διακινούνται πάρα πολλά εμπορεύματα. Ίσως γι'αυτό σήμερα έχει διατηρηθεί μόνο το τμήμα του δρομολογίου που αφορά τη σύνδεση Ελλάδας-Ιταλίας, έστω και από άλλα λιμάνια (Βενετία, Αγκώνα, Μπάρι)!

Nicholas Peppas
04-03-2009, 21:02
Έχεις ένα δίκιο σ'αυτό που λες! Ωστόσο σήμερα το ότι δε γίνονται τέτοια δρομολόγια νομίζω έχει να κάνει κυρίως με το αν συμφέρει οικονομικά τις εκάστοτε εταιρείες, και με το είδος του σύγχρονου εμπορίου, και λιγότερο με το θέμα των συνόρων! Κακά τα ψέματα σήμερα οι ακτοπλοΐκές εταιρείες "επιζούν" κυρίως λόγω μεταφοράς εμπορευμάτων (νταλίκες), και όχι και τόσο επιβατών. Ένα δρομολόγιο λοιπόν όπως το παραπάνω δε θα είχε νομίζω σήμερα οφέλη για τις εταιρείες όταν υπάρχουν αυτοκινητόδρομοι μέσω τον οποίων διακινούνται πάρα πολλά εμπορεύματα. Ίσως γι'αυτό σήμερα έχει διατηρηθεί μόνο το τμήμα του δρομολογίου που αφορά τη σύνδεση Ελλάδας-Ιταλίας, έστω και από άλλα λιμάνια (Βενετία, Αγκώνα, Μπάρι)!
I understand the commercial implications... I do not want to change this forum into a political one. My comments as that after about 1920, the Greek public paid less attention to Ionian matters and this was very unfortunate

Trakman
04-03-2009, 22:17
I understand the commercial implications... I do not want to change this forum into a political one. My comments as that after about 1920, the Greek public paid less attention to Ionian matters and this was very unfortunate

Συμφωνώ μαζί σου!! Ελπίζω πάντως να μη με παρεξήγησες, δεν ήρθα σε αντίθεση μαζί σου!! Μια σκέψη έκανα!!;)

Nicholas Peppas
04-03-2009, 22:21
Συμφωνώ μαζί σου!! Ελπίζω πάντως να μη με παρεξήγησες, δεν ήρθα σε αντίθεση μαζί σου!! Μια σκέψη έκανα!!
I did not say we disagreed! Please do not misunderstand

Trakman
04-03-2009, 22:25
I did not say we disagreed! Please do not misunderstand

Οκ Δόκιμε Πλοίαρχε!! Πήραμε προαγωγή βλέπω!!! ;):D Προχωράμε παρακάτω!!

Nicholas Peppas
04-03-2009, 22:30
Οκ Δόκιμε Πλοίαρχε!! Πήραμε προαγωγή βλέπω!!! Προχωράμε παρακάτω!!
Well... Actually a message to you was the 500th. 510 articles or messages since January 21, 2009.. I need to do some work as well.

Appia_1978
04-03-2009, 23:20
Συμφωνώ μαζί σου, είναι πολυ κρίμα. Μερικές φορές μπορεί τη σήμερον εποχή, να σχηματίσει κανείς τη γνώμη ότι τα Επτάνησα είναι κάτι απόμακρα και ασήμαντα νησάκια σε μια γωνιά της Ελλάδος.

Επειδή με ενδιαφέρει το θέμα και ψάχνω κάπου κάπου για καινούργια στοιχεία στο διαδίκτυο, είχα βρει μια αναφορά, ότι το 17ο με 18ο αιώνα, η Κεφαλλονιά κατείχε τον τρίτο σε αριθμό νηολογημένων πλοίων, στόλο της Γαληνοτάτης Δημοκρατίας του Αγίου Μάρκου (Βενετία), μετά την ίδια τη Βενετία και την, μέχρι την κατάληψη από τους Τούρκους, Κρήτη.

Θυμάμαι χαρακτηριστικά όταν ήμουν μικρό παιδί και μου έλεγε ιστορίες θαλασσινές ο παππούς μου, του δικού του παππού που ταξίδευε τα χρόνια μεταξύ 1830-1870 από πολύ μικρό παιδί, ότι δύο φορές την εβδομάδα είχε τακτικό δρομολόγιο για τη Βενετία, από την Κεφαλλονιά! Πολλά από τα Κεφαλλονίτικα καράβια ήταν και της οικογενείας ;)
Κρίμα που ήμουν τότε πολύ μικρός για να ρωτήσω λεπτομέρειες ...

Ιδιαίτερα τις τελευταίες δεκαετίες, χαθήκανε πάρα πολλοί δεσμοί των Επτανήσων με τη Βενετία και γενικότερα την Ιταλία. Από καθαρά πολιτιστική και κοινωνική άποψη, το θεωρώ πολύ μεγάλο κρίμα ...
Ιδιαίτερα εάν αναλογιστεί κανείς, ότι τουλάχιστον το 60-80 % των μεγάλων παλαιών γνήσια Κεφαλλονίτικων οικογενειών κατάγονται από την Ιταλία και τη Γαλλία. Πιστεύω στα υπόλοιπα Επτάνησα, το ποσοστό να κυμαίνεται με κάποιες μικροδιαφορές στα ίδια ποσοστά περίπου.

Αυτά για τώρα και συγγνώμη για το Off Topic!!!

Thanks for pointing it out. I had not noticed... In fact, it says "via Zante-Kalamata" or "via Argostoli-Kalamata". Do you know what this means? That the Ionian islands had a very active population that traveled to Italy! My personal feeling is that after World War I the epicenter of Greece moved to the East and the Ionian islands lost in national recognition.... Pity!