PDA

Επιστροφή στο Forum : Πέτρος [Petros, Hungaria, Veneto, Zaton, Ionio]

Nicholas Peppas
08-03-2009, 06:01
Petros was an 1892 German ship that came to Greece in 1926 and became part of the Potamianos Lines serving mostly the Ionian route.. She was a German ship built in Kiel, Germany, by Howaldts Werke and launched in February 1892 with the name Hungaria. She was a single-screw boat of 54.6 m length and 7.6 m breadth. She had a service speed of 12.5 knots.
I have given her detailed history in http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=56916
Πηγή (http://www.tankonyvtar.hu/main.php?objectID=6063602)

Ellinis
08-03-2009, 19:18
The Petros mentioned above was an 1892 ship that came to Greece in 1926. She was a German ship bulit in Kiel, Germany, by Howaldts Werke and launched in February 1892 with the name Hungaria. Here is her picture as she enters Fiume in 1904. Another drawing of the Hungaria in Fiume is shown in http://www.tankonyvtar.hu/main.php?objectID=6063602 (http://www.tankonyvtar.hu/main.php?objectID=6063602)

She belonged to Ungaro-Croata Lloyd and based in Fiume (today's Rijeka in Croatia). Ungaro-croata was a medium size company with 47 vessels in March 1914 and a total tonnage of 22,666 tons (Milan Vego, Austrohungarian Naval Policy 1904-14). Hungaria was a single-screw boat of 54.6 m length and 7.6 m breadth. She had a service speed of 12.5 knots. had The ship was known to the Greek seas at that time as she was calling at Bar weekly and was one of the ships bringing Austrians down to Montenegro during the preparations for the Balkan Wars.

In 1910 she was transferred to Veneziana and named the Veneto. In 1913 she was transferred to the Dalmatian-Italian company Ragusea (out of Dubrovnik) and named Zaton (NB: For those not familiar with teh region, Zaton is a bay just outside of Dubrovnik). In this capacity she served the route of Ragusa (Dubrovnik) to Spalato (today's Split), Zara (today's Zadar), Fiume and Capodistria (today's Koper in Slovenia) as well as numerous small islands in then Kingdom of Servia. In 1916 she was requisitioned by the Montenegrins to carry troops from Bocche di Cattaro (today's Kotor) to Albania.

She was first transferred to Greece in 1926, having been purchased by C.N. Muhas Lines. She was named Ionio. One year later she joined the G. Potamianos Line and was finally named Petros. As such, she concentrated on Ionian travel. She is listed as having been scuttled at Porto Heli on April 25, 1941. Checking carefully the date, I can only guess she was the victim of a German bombardment and I am waiting for Ellinis to verify.

Σύμφωνα με το βιβλίο του Ντούνη "Τα Ναυάγια στις Ελληνικές θάλασσες, 1900-1950", το πλοίο δέχθηκε επίθεση απο γερμανικά αεροσκάφη και βυθιστηκε ενω ηταν αγκυροβολημενο στο Πορτο Χελι. Ευτυχως δεν υπήρξαν απώλειες.

Και μια λεπτομέρεια που αναφερεται στο βιβλιο. Το πλοίο ονομαστηκε Πέτρος προς τιμή του πατέρα του πλοιοκτήτη. Πέτρος ήταν και το όνομα ενός απο τους 4 γιούς του Γιώργου Ποταμιάνου. Τα άλλα 3 παιδιά λέγονταν Τασος (http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=23166), Κίμων και Φωκίων και δώσανε και αυτά τα ονόματα τους σε άλλα καράβια της Ηπειρωτικής.

Nicholas Peppas
09-03-2009, 02:14
Σύμφωνα με το βιβλίο του Ντούνη "Τα Ναυάγια στις Ελληνικές θάλασσες, 1900-1950", το πλοίο δέχθηκε επίθεση απο γερμανικά αεροσκάφη και βυθιστηκε ενω ηταν αγκυροβολημενο στο Πορτο Χελι. Ευτυχως δεν υπήρξαν απώλειες.

Thanks for this. I need to buy this book! many Greek ships were lost in the early days of the spring of 1941

Και μια λεπτομέρεια που αναφερεται στο βιβλιο. Το πλοίο ονομαστηκε Πέτρος προς τιμή του πατέρα του πλοιοκτήτη. Πέτρος ήταν και το όνομα ενός απο τους 4 γιούς του Γιώργου Ποταμιάνου. Τα άλλα 3 παιδιά λέγονταν Τασος (http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=23166), Κίμων και Φωκίων και δώσανε και αυτά τα ονόματα τους σε άλλα καράβια της Ηπειρωτικής.

I had heard this story! So, I note that when Aktoploia tis Ellados was formed on May 29, 1929 (E. Venizelos government), a few other Lines remained independent, including Epirotiki of Potamianos. At that moment the had six passenger ships: Epirus, Tasos, Kimon, Fokion, Petros and ... Elvira. Epirus makes sense and the next four were his sons' names. What about Elvira? Wife or daughter?

Nicholas Peppas
09-03-2009, 03:06
I had heard this story! So, I note that when Aktoploia tis Ellados was formed on May 29, 1929 (E. Venizelos government), a few other Lines remained independent, including Epirotiki of Potamianos. At that moment the had six passenger ships: Epirus, Tasos, Kimon, Fokion, Petros and ... Elvira. Epirus makes sense and the next four were his sons' names. What about Elvira? Wife or daughter?

Well, I have the answer from the Epirotiki Website... http://www.epirotikigroup.com/frames.php?id=1

In 1916, Giorgos Potamianos (1867-1932) moved to the new center of shipping of Piraeus acquiring his first steam powered ship, operating between the Greek islands, and by 1926 the company owned 15 cargo and passenger vessels ranging between 800 to 1500 GRT (several named after his home island: 'Kefallinia'(1902), and children: 'Tassos', 'Elvira', 'Kimon', 'Petros', 'Fokion', 'Popi').

Elvira was one of his two daughters! The other was Popi!!!

Elvira was built as the yacht Greta ("after the small stream which runs through the Halskill Estate") by Scott & Co of Greenock for the shipyards' owner J. Scott in 1898 (who said the old man Potamianos did not have taste?). The June 1, 1892 Marine Engineer says "The builders will supply triple-expansion engines of 300 HP"... That would make her rather powerful. She was bought by G Potamianos in 1927. She had 372 tons with a length of 50.3 m and width of 6.9 m. She was scuttled on April 23, 1941

Here is a photo of Elvira when she was Greta from the book Two centuries of Shipbuilding by the Scotts at Greenock.

Nicholas Peppas
22-08-2009, 05:28
I am returning today to the great Petros that we last discussed almost 6 months ago. I have now several interesting, mostly original photographs and postcards that were hidden somewhere in my attique... They are mostly from her days as Hungaria.

Here she is in Fiume (today's Rijeka)

And here is Hungaria (our own Petros of Potamianos; front), Pannonia (our own Leon of Lakoniki; back left) and Abbazia (back right) in 1906

Nicholas Peppas
25-10-2009, 05:49
Μια ωραια παρουσιαση της Ηπειρωτικης του Ποταμιανου στις 23 Μαιου 1930 (εφημεριδα Ριζοσπαστης)

Nicholas Peppas
05-04-2010, 13:41
The Petros mentioned above was an 1892 ship that came to Greece in 1926. She was a German ship bulit in Kiel, Germany, by Howaldts Werke and launched in February 1892 with the name Hungaria.

She was first transferred to Greece in 1926, having been purchased by C.N. Muhas Lines. She was named Ionio. One year later she joined the G. Potamianos Line and was finally named Petros.

Ενα ευρημα... Το πλοιο παρουσιαζεται την μονη χρονια που ονομαζοταν ΙΟΝΙΟΝ... Ανηκε στην Κερκυροηπειρωτικη Ατμοπλοια των Μουχα, Ριγγα και Μαζαρακη και το βλεπουμε εδω σε δημοσιευσεις της 11ης Ιουνιου και 23ης Αυγουστου 1926!

83162 83078

Nicholas Peppas
05-04-2010, 21:18
Το πλοιο δεξια ειναι το Hungaria/Πετρος απο παλιο πινακα

Nicholas Peppas
07-04-2010, 23:28
Οι κρουαζιερες Οδυσσεια, για τις οποιες θα γραψουμε ξεχωριστο αρθρο σε λιγο καιρο ηταν εκπαιδευτικες κρουαζιερες του 1926−1930 που εδιναν την ευκαιρια σε νεους και νεες απο τις ΗΠΑ (ιδιως απο την ανατολικη ακτη) να περασουν μερικες εβδομαδες στην Ιταλια, Δαλματικες ακτες, Αλβανια, Ελλαδα και Τουρκια επισκεπτομενοι περισσοτερο τα αρχαια και αξιοθεατα της εποχης εκεινης

Απο την μπροσουρα το καλοκαιριου 1929 παρουσιαζω εδω ωρισμενες φωτογραφιες του πλοιου Πετρος της ακτοπλοιας Ποταμιανου. Νομιζω οτι ειναι η πρωτη φορα που βλεπουμε φωτογραφιες του κλασσικου αυτου επιβατηγου οπως ηταν στις Ελληνικες θαλασσες με τα χρωματα της Ηπειρωτικης...

Οι διαφορες φωτογραφιες και τα τευχη των κρουαζιερων ηλθαν στα χερια μου απο την κυρια Pamela Duff η οποια μου τα εστειλε προ καιρου με την αδεια να τα χρησιμοποιησω. Την ευχαριστω και δημοσιως για την προσφορα της

The Odyssey cruises, about which I plan to prepare a separate article and subject in the near future, were educational cruises of 1926-1930 that gave the opportunity to young men and women from the USA (mostly from the east coast) to spend a few weeks in Italy, Dalmatian coast, Albania, Greece and Turkey, visiting the ancient sites of that time…

From the brochure of the summer of 1929 I present here some photos of the passenger ship Petros of the Potamianos shipping company. I believe this is the first time we see photographs of this classic ship as she was in the Greek seas with the colors of Epirotiki.

The various pictures and brochures were given to me by Dr. Pamela Duff who sent them to me with permission to reproduce them here in nautilia.gr. I thank Dr Duff for her kind gesture.

Another wonderful photograph of Petros from the same source

Nicholas Peppas
07-04-2010, 23:33
And three more photographs from Petros.... The young tourists enjoying the Greek sea

Ellinis
07-04-2010, 23:59
Φαντάζομαι την έκφραση στα πρόσωπα των περιηγητών όταν θα αντικρίζανε το "κρουαζιερόπλοιο"...
Δηλαδή η διοργανώτρια εταιρεία ποιά ήτανε; Αναφέρει στο φυλλάδιο που και πότε πήγαινε;

Nicholas Peppas
08-04-2010, 00:33
Φαντάζομαι την έκφραση στα πρόσωπα των περιηγητών όταν θα αντικρίζανε το "κρουαζιερόπλοιο"...
Δηλαδή η διοργανώτρια εταιρεία ποιά ήτανε; Αναφέρει στο φυλλάδιο που και πότε πήγαινε;

Χμ... Εμενα μου φαινεται ενα πολυ ωραιο πλοιο της εποχης, αλλα μην ξεχνας οτι παντα αγαπουσα το Hungaria... δηλαδη το Πετρος.

Here is a map of the Odyssey cruise and trail that took place from July 4 to 29, 1929.

The Odyssey cruise and trail was one expensive trip! $1,575 was about $13,000 in today's money (I think)! B.D. Mac Donald (1897-?), the main organizer, was the French master in the Haverford School in Pennsylvania (http://www.haverford.org/default.aspx). He worked for four years in Eastern Europe. During the evacuation of Smyrna in 1922, MacDonald was in charge of finance and supplies in Mytilene. Later he directed relief efforts in Crete working under Gen. William N. Haskell, the American Red Cross Commissioner in Greece.

R.H. Anderson (1898- ?) was a college coach in Romania, then a supply officer in the Near East Relief in the Caucasus. By 1929, he was the Executive Secretary of the Delta Upsilon national fraternity (Δικαια Υποθηκη, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Upsilon).

Nicholas Peppas
09-04-2010, 00:29
I need to clarify that although the brochure advertises the ODYSSEY OF 1929, the photographs of Petros must have been from the 1928 voyage. Just my guess, based on the brochure's text.

Here are the ... customers and the ship in nice photographs.

τοξοτης
12-04-2010, 21:26
Να βάλω και εγώ μία φωτογραφία , όχι τόσο καθαρή , σαν
ZATON

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20Z/slides/Zaton-01.html

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20Z/slides/Zaton-01.jpg

Nicholas Peppas
13-04-2010, 02:12
Να βάλω και εγώ μία φωτογραφία , όχι τόσο καθαρή , σαν
ZATON

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20Z/slides/Zaton-01.html

Φυσικα ειναι το ιδιο πλοιο με το ονομα ZATON οταν ανηκε στην Società di Navigazione Ragusea. Η φωτογραφια ειναι απο την Ραγουσα, σημερινο Dubrovnik.

Ευχαριστουμε γι αυτη την σπουδαια ανακαλυψη!

Nicholas Peppas
30-05-2010, 15:59
Οι κρουαζιερες Οδυσσεια, για τις οποιες θα γραψουμε ξεχωριστο αρθρο σε λιγο καιρο ηταν εκπαιδευτικες κρουαζιερες του 1926−1930 που εδιναν την ευκαιρια σε νεους και νεες απο τις ΗΠΑ (ιδιως απο την ανατολικη ακτη) να περασουν μερικες εβδομαδες στην Ιταλια, Δαλματικες ακτες, Αλβανια, Ελλαδα και Τουρκια επισκεπτομενοι περισσοτερο τα αρχαια και αξιοθεατα της εποχης εκεινης

Απο την μπροσουρα το καλοκαιριου 1929 παρουσιαζω εδω ωρισμενες φωτογραφιες του πλοιου Πετρος της ακτοπλοιας Ποταμιανου. Νομιζω οτι ειναι η πρωτη φορα που βλεπουμε φωτογραφιες του κλασσικου αυτου επιβατηγου οπως ηταν στις Ελληνικες θαλασσες με τα χρωματα της Ηπειρωτικης...

Οι διαφορες φωτογραφιες και τα τευχη των κρουαζιερων ηλθαν στα χερια μου απο την κυρια Pamela Duff η οποια μου τα εστειλε προ καιρου με την αδεια να τα χρησιμοποιησω. Την ευχαριστω και δημοσιως για την προσφορα της

The Odyssey cruises, about which I plan to prepare a separate article and subject in the near future, were educational cruises of 1926-1930 that gave the opportunity to young men and women from the USA (mostly from the east coast) to spend a few weeks in Italy, Dalmatian coast, Albania, Greece and Turkey, visiting the ancient sites of that time…

From the brochure of the summer of 1929 I present here some photos of the passenger ship Petros of the Potamianos shipping company. I believe this is the first time we see photographs of this classic ship as she was in the Greek seas with the colors of Epirotiki.

The various pictures and brochures were given to me by Dr. Pamela Duff who sent them to me with permission to reproduce them here in nautilia.gr. I thank Dr Duff for her kind gesture.

Two more details here

Nicholas Peppas
08-12-2010, 06:18
Ενα ευρημα... Το πλοιο παρουσιαζεται την μονη χρονια που ονομαζοταν ΙΟΝΙΟΝ... Ανηκε στην Κερκυροηπειρωτικη Ατμοπλοια των Μουχα, Ριγγα και Μαζαρακη και το βλεπουμε εδω σε δημοσιευσεις της 11ης Ιουνιου και 23ης Αυγουστου 1926!

83162 83078

Μια πιο καθοριστικη ανακοινωση της Κερκυροηπειρωτικης Ατμοπλοιας των Μουχα, Ριγγα και Μαζαρακη για το πρωτοεμφανισθεν στην Ελλαδα πλοιο Hungaria/Veneto/Zaton με το ονομα Ιονιον.

Εδω στις 16 Μαιου 1926 ανακοινωνεται η αφιξη του πλοιου. Το πλοιο ειχε τρεις θεσεις και πηγαινε καθε Τριτη κατ ευθειαν απο τον Πειραια στην Πατρα και μετα στην Κερκυρα σε 18 ωρες

Nicholas Peppas
20-11-2016, 16:42
Το ΠΕΤΡΟΣ στις εφημεριδες. Ομορφο πλοιο!

Πολιτεια, 2/7/1928

Επτανησος Κερκυρας, 4/11/1936

Νεα Ελλας Βολου, 4/1/1940

τοξοτης
21-11-2016, 00:02
Να προσθέσω μια αφίσσα του HUNGARIA

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20H/slides/Hungaria-01.jpg

Nicholas Peppas
29-09-2018, 06:21
Αρθρο για το ΠΕΤΡΟΣ απο την Πολιτεια της 27/7/1928.