PDA

Επιστροφή στο Forum : Ναυκρατούσα [Ψαρρά, Μετέωρα, Χαλκίς - Azalea, Chalkis, Naukratoussa, Meteora, Psara]

Nicholas Peppas
18-04-2009, 23:30
This is ship with significant history both in Great Britain and in Greece under three different owners. Known (in Greece) as Chalkis (3 years), Naukratoussa (10 years), and Psara (6 years), she is best known as Naukratoussa (note the spelling in English with two "s"; if it had one "s" it would be pronounced with a "z". In addition, inforeign Web sites it appears spelled phonetically as Nafkratoussa).

She was an iron screw steamer, built in 1878 by A. and J. Inglis, at Point-house, Glasgow, in the county of Lanark with the name Azalea. She had a sister ship called Cedar. Both of them were 683 tons, 66.3 m long and 9.2 m wide. Azalea was propelled by two compound-inverted direct-acting engines of 200 HP. The Miramar entry is as follows

Ship Report for "1078646"
IDNo: 1078646 Year: 1878
Name: AZALEA Launch Date: 14.8.78
Type: Passenger/cargo Date of completion: 9.78
Flag: GBR Keel:
Tons: 683 Link: 1566
DWT: 0 Yard No: 148
Length overall: Ship Design:
LPP: 66.3 Country of build: GBR
Beam: 9.2 Builder: Inglis
Material of build: I Location of yard: Pointhouse
Number of
screws/Mchy/
Speed(kn): 1C-
Owner as Completed: Glasgow & Londonderry S.P.Co (A.A.Laird & Co), Gla
Naval or paramilitary marking :
A: *
End: 1939
Subsequent History: 20 CHALKIS - 23 NAFKRATOUSSA - 33 PSARA
Disposal Data: BU Greece 1q.1939

See also http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=1818 The attribution to C. Gambetta in 1914 may be questioned. It is repeated later http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/Mariners/2007-12/1198498940 with the name Chalkis associated with the ship. But was there a Gambetta Line?

Both Azalea and Cedar belonged to the Glasgow, Dublin, and Londonderry Steampacket Company, Limited, of Robertson Street, Glasgow, better known as the Laird Line of Glasgow from the name of her manager Alexander Laird. They were bought to meet the requirements of the West Coast of Ireland trade, and had "excellent saloon accommodation for seventy passengers".

Here is an announcement of the company's routes and ships as well as a 1891 ad of its routes.

In 1888, she was involved in a rather serious accident because her captain had decided to race another ship http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SCCLibraries/WreckReports/15355.asp

In 1917 she was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and was taken in the Aegean in December 1917 officially as a "fleet messenger", although she evidently acted as a depot ship for armed trawlers. She was returned to Laird Line in 1919 but did not move back to the UK. Instead she was sold that year (and not in 1920 as the "official sites" indicate) to Panevoiki Line and named Chalkis. Then in 1923 she was sold to Yannoulatos and named Naukratoussa. Under this name she was quite well known and covered several routes. You see below her schedules going to Corfu, to Chios and Mytilene and the Crete in just one week of June 25, 1927 (!)

and to a truly ambitious route of Piraeus, Patras, Leukas, Preveza, Corfu, Aghioi Saranta, Valona (Avlon) and Durres (Dyracchion) on July 20, 1929!!!

In 1933, she was sold to Hellenic Coast Lines (Elliniki Aktoploia) with whom she remained until 1939.

I could not come up with photographs

NB 1: In a recent blog about ancestors, Mr Michael Clarke indicates he has a photograph of Chalkis in 1919 in Sevastoupolis. I have contacted him and I hope to receive an answer. This information is interesting but what bothers me is that the ship is called HMS (his Majesty's ship) and this would not been the designation if she was already Greek and belonging to Panevoiki. Unless of course HMS referred to teh Greek rather than the English King. We'll wait and see. Besides, ellinis has not spoken yet.

"M Clarke" <[email protected]>
Subject: [MAR] HMS Chalkis
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:28:00 -0000

I have 3 Photographs from the effects of an elderly aunt who never married, I think she lost her fianc&#233; in WW1. The photos show a view of HMS Chalkis from the port quarter, 2 Turkish POW's on deck with a White Ensign clearly visible and the third, dated 10/04/1919 shows Russian and English refugees on board at Sebastopol. Does anyone know any thing about this ship? Mike Clarke

NB 2: This ship is not to be confused with another Yannoulatos Naukratoussa, bought by the Greek company in 1914 and lost in the battles of Kallipolis in 1918. See http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=4033 and below

Single Ship Report for "1084313"
IDNo: 1084313 Year: 1881
Name: GORILLA Launch Date: 2.4.81
Type: Passenger/cargo Date of completion:
Flag: GBR Keel:
Tons: 962 Link: 1378
DWT: Yard No: 299
Length overall: Ship Design:
LPP: Country of build: GBR
Beam: Builder: Barclay Curle
Material of build: I Location of yard: Whiteinch
Number of
screws/Mchy/
Speed(kn):
Owner as Completed: J.Burns, Glasgow
Naval or paramilitary marking :
A: *
End: 1918
Subsequent History: 14 NAFKRATOUSSA
Disposal Data:

gunfire off Gallipoli Peninsula 30.1.18

Ellinis
19-04-2009, 20:54
Nικόλα, η παρουσίαση σου του πλοίου με έβαλε να ψάξω για περισσότερα στοιχεία.

The attribution to C. Gambetta in 1914 may be questioned. It is repeated later http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/Mariners/2007-12/1198498940 (http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/Mariners/2007-12/1198498940) with the name Chalkis associated with the ship. But was there a Gambetta Line?
Σε σχέση με το C.Gambetta, τόσο το miramar όσο και το clydesite αναφέρουν το 1920 σαν χρονιά μετανομασίας σε ΧΑΛΚΙΣ. Ίσως ο C.Gambetta να μην ήταν Έλληνας (σε Ιταλικό μου φαίρνει) και να κράτησε το όνομα Azalea υπο πλοιοκτησίας του.

Τώρα για το HMS CHALKIS, δεν βρήκα κάτι. Αν όντως μετανομάστηκε σε ΧΑΛΚΙΣ το 1920 τότε το HMS CHALKIS του 1917/19 είναι άλλο πλοίο.

Για καλή τύχη όμως, βρήκα στο photoship μια πολύ καλή φώτο του πλοίου ως AZALEA με τα χρώματα της Laird Line.

πηγή (http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20A/slides/Azalea-03.html)

Nicholas Peppas
19-04-2009, 21:09
Nικόλα, η παρουσίαση σου του πλοίου με έβαλε να ψάξω για περισσότερα στοιχεία.

Σε σχέση με το C.Gambetta, τόσο το miramar όσο και το clydesite αναφέρουν το 1920 σαν χρονιά μετανομασίας σε ΧΑΛΚΙΣ. Ίσως ο C.Gambetta να μην ήταν Έλληνας (σε Ιταλικό μου φαίρνει) και να κράτησε το όνομα Azalea υπο πλοιοκτησίας του.

Τώρα για το HMS CHALKIS, δεν βρήκα κάτι. Αν όντως μετανομάστηκε σε ΧΑΛΚΙΣ το 1920 τότε το HMS CHALKIS του 1917/19 είναι άλλο πλοίο.

Για καλή τύχη όμως, βρήκα στο photoship μια πολύ καλή φώτο του πλοίου ως AZALEA με τα χρώματα της Laird Line.

πηγή (http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20A/slides/Azalea-03.html)

Thanks. This is interesting. I have now the three photographs from Mr Michael Clarke and I am waiting for his permission to post them. The 1919 Chalkis can be seen from the back. Its stern is quite different than the ship you show here. I hope to be able to upload everything soon. N

Ellinis
19-04-2009, 21:24
She was an iron screw steamer, built in 1878 by A. and J. Inglis, at Point-house, Glasgow, in the county of Lanark with the name Azalea. She had a sister ship called Cedar. Both of them were 683 tons, 66.3 m long and 9.2 m wide.

Ξέχασα να αναφέρω πως και το αδελφάκι του, το CEDAR (http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=5219), μας ήρθε αργότερα ως ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΣ ΚΑΒΟΥΝΙΔΗΣ, ΖΕΦΥΡΟΣ και ΣΠΕΤΣΑΙ.

Nicholas Peppas
19-04-2009, 21:44
Ξέχασα να αναφέρω πως και το αδελφάκι του, το CEDAR (http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=5219), μας ήρθε αργότερα ως ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΣ ΚΑΒΟΥΝΙΔΗΣ, ΖΕΦΥΡΟΣ και ΣΠΕΤΣΑΙ.
Thanks for this. I was planning to star a thread for Cedar/Zephyros... So many old ships, so little time

In 1917 she was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and was taken in the Aegean in December 1917 officially as a "fleet messenger", although she evidently acted as a depot ship for armed trawlers. She was returned to Laird Line in 1919 but did not move back to the UK. Instead she was sold that year (and not in 1920 as the "official sites" indicate) to Panevoiki Line and named Chalkis.

In a recent blog about ancestors, Mr Michael Clarke indicates he has a photograph of Chalkis in 1919 in Sevastoupolis.

I have now received permission from Mr Michael Clarke to upload important new information about Azalea/Naukratoussa when she was Chalkis. First, here is Mr Clarke's explanatory note (certain parts of the note have been removed as they are of personal nature):

Dear Professor Peppas,

I am delighted to be able to share what little I have discovered about this ship. My interest started when an elderly maiden aunt of mine died some years ago and I discovered an envelope of postcards and photographs from the 1st world war.

One of the photos was of an old ship with HMS Chalkis written on the back. I attach those that seem relevant, both front and back.

At the risk of repeating information you already have here is her history as far as I have it. Built in 1878 by A & J Inglis, yard no 148. I have the same names as you. As the Azalea she appears to have traded between N Ireland and Glasgow for the Glasgow & Londonderry Steam Packet Co until she was sold to the Laird Line of Glasgow in 1907.

She was sold to C Gambetta in 1912 and renamed Chalkis. She was taken over by the Royal Navy in the Aegean in December, 1917 as a Fleet messenger but was supposedly used as a depot ship for armed trawlers. She was returned to her owners in August 1919 and sold on in 1920 to Paneveiki of Piraeus who renamed her Nafkratoussa.

As you can see from the photos she carried Turkish POWs and was also at Sebastopol with White Russian refugees on board in 1919.

I hope this is of use, please don't hesitate to ask for better copies of the photos if you would like them.

Regards, Michael Clarke

And from a second note

Please feel free to use the pictures in any way you wish. Your additional information is a wonderful addition to my little store of knowledge.

First here is Chalkis, presumably in 1919

Here is the photograph of two Turkish prisoners, shown for purposes of appreciation of how Chalkis looked on board

And here is the photograph of the Russian emigres on board Chalkis

Nicholas Peppas
25-05-2009, 03:32
I have now another schedule of Naukratoussa from October 30, 1930, one that will remind us of the Theotokos schedules of the same period! Dedicated to Ellinis who will rush, I am sure, to create another nice map that has now more ports than the one for Theotokos!

Piraeus, Syros, Chios, Kardamyla, Volissos, Psara, Plomarions, Mh0umna, Sigri, Aghios Eustratios, Moudros, Kondias, Samo0raki, Alexandroupolis, Kavala!

Ellinis
25-05-2009, 20:58
To περίεργο με αυτό το δρομολόγιο του Ναυκρατούσσα είναι πως δεν έπιανε στα 2 κύρια λιμάνια, τη Μυτιλήνη και τη Μύρινα. Αναρωτιέμαι αν υπήρχε λόγος ή απλά επενέβη ο δαίμωνας του τυπογραφείου...:rolleyes:

Όπως και αν έχει ακολουθεί και ο σχετικός χάρτης που ζήτησες

Nicholas Peppas
25-05-2009, 21:27
To περίεργο με αυτό το δρομολόγιο του Ναυκρατούσσα είναι πως δεν έπιανε στα 2 κύρια λιμάνια, τη Μυτιλήνη και τη Μύρινα. Αναρωτιέμαι αν υπήρχε λόγος ή απλά επενέβη ο δαίμωνας του τυπογραφείου...:rolleyes:

Όπως και αν έχει ακολουθεί και ο σχετικός χάρτης που ζήτησες

Hmm... No idea

Nicholas Peppas
27-10-2009, 17:09
This is ship with significant history both in Great Britain and in Greece under three different owners. Known (in Greece) as Chalkis (3 years), Naukratoussa (10 years), and Psara (6 years), she is best known as Naukratoussa (note the spelling in English with two "s"; if it had one "s" it would be pronounced with a "z". In addition, inforeign Web sites it appears spelled phonetically as Nafkratoussa).

She was an iron screw steamer, built in 1878 by A. and J. Inglis, at Point-house, Glasgow, in the county of Lanark with the name Azalea. She had a sister ship called Cedar. Both of them were 683 tons, 66.3 m long and 9.2 m wide. Azalea was propelled by two compound-inverted direct-acting engines of 200 HP.

Both Azalea and Cedar belonged to the Glasgow, Dublin, and Londonderry
In 1917 she was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and was taken in the Aegean in December 1917 officially as a "fleet messenger", although she evidently acted as a depot ship for armed trawlers. She was returned to Laird Line in 1919 but did not move back to the UK. Instead she was sold that year (and not in 1920 as the "official sites" indicate) to Panevoiki Line and named Chalkis.

Here are then two nice announcements about Chalkis in her first year in Greece.

First a rather ambitious trip on February 4, 1920 from Piraeus to Chios, Smyrna, Mytilene, Alexandroupolis, Kavala, Thessaloniki, Volos, Chalkis and back to Piraeus!

And then a nice excursion to Tenos and Paros on August 13, 1920

Chalkis

Nicholas Peppas
28-10-2009, 03:36
Here are two more announcements about Chalkis in her first year in Greece.

On May 5, 1920 she goes to Egypt...

... and on August 7, 1920 she goes to Smyrna

A wonderful and detailed schedule of Naukratoussa from Thessaloniki. The date is February 3, 1925. Please note 120 places or first and second class!

Nicholas Peppas
06-04-2010, 02:44
Το πλοιο Χαλκις στις 5 Μαιου 1915. Ανηκε τοτε στην Πανευβοικη Ατμοπλοια

Nicholas Peppas
19-05-2010, 15:06

Το AZALEA απο καρτα στο Ebay...

Και αλλη

Nicholas Peppas
28-03-2011, 03:40
Το 1923, πρωτο ετος της ιδιοκτησιας του Ναυκρατουσα απο τον Γιαννουλατο, το Ναυκρατουσα και το Αθηναι τρωγοντουσαν ποιο θα εφθανε πρωτο απο την Θεσσαλονικη στην Αιδηψο! Εδω το Ναυκρατουσα στις 3 Ιουλιου 1923.

Ellinis
04-04-2011, 20:44
Μια ωραία φωτογραφία του πλοίου ως AZALEA, με το επακόλουθο της καύσης κάρβουνου να είναι κάτι παραπάνω από ορατό 8)

Από το βιβλίο "Burns & Laird" της εξαιρετικής σειράς Ships in Focus.

Nicholas Peppas
05-04-2011, 08:19
Μια ωραία φωτογραφία του πλοίου ως AZALEA, με το επακόλουθο της καύσης κάρβουνου να είναι κάτι παραπάνω από ορατό 8)

Από το βιβλίο "Burns & Laird" της εξαιρετικής σειράς Ships in Focus.

Η ιδια που ανεβασες και στο Νο 2. Μεγαλειωδες πλοιο της εποχης εκεινης

Ellinis
05-04-2011, 09:28
Ε αφού την είχαμε ξαναδεί, ας δούμε και μια άλλη πρωτοεμφανιζόμενη. Αυτή τη φορά σε προφίλ.
Και πάλι από το ίδιο βιβλίο.

Nicholas Peppas
24-12-2014, 02:42
Μια καπως καλυτερη φωτογραφια του AZALEA απο το βιβλιο "Cross Channel and Short Sea Ferries: An Illustrated History" του Lord Ambrose Greenway, Seaforth Publishing, Barnsley, 2014.

Ellinis
02-01-2015, 14:51
Να αναφέρουμε μια λίγο πολύ άγνωστη πτυχή της ιστορίας του πλοίου. Όταν στο πόλεμο της Μικράς Ασίας επιτάχθηκε και εξοπλίστηκε ως εύδρομο (η ελληνική ονομασία των εξοπλισμένων εμπορικών καταδρομικών) τότε πήρε για λίγο το όνομα ΜΕΤΕΩΡΑ. Μετά την λύξη της χρήσης του από το ΠΝ επανήλθε το ΝΑΥΚΡΑΤΟΥΣΑ.
Και μια φωτογραφία του ως ΨΑΡΡΑ της "Ακτοπλοΐας της Ελλάδος".

Ellinis
17-12-2022, 09:43
Σε μια φωτογραφία του Πειραιά (από τη συλλογή του Dionysios Anninos) βλέπουμε μεταξύ άλλων και το ΨΑΡΡΑ που το 1934 έκανε το δρομολόγιο της νότιας Πελοποννήσου έως το Κατάκωλο. Για κάποιο λόγο αναφέρεται ως πλοίο της Λακωνικής, είτε λανθασμένο, είτε είχε ναυλωθεί σε αυτή.