Σελίδα 1 από 7 123 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 1 έως 10 από 64

Θέμα: Ελληνικά ναυτιλιακά βιβλία [Greek maritime books]

Προεπιλογή Ελληνικά ναυτιλιακά βιβλία [Greek maritime books]

A few days ago I received from London my copy of the 2006 book of Bill Miller Greek Passenger Liners. It is a wonderful, concise (100 pages) book with 20+ Lines founded by Greek owners. It is very well written (but by no means exhaustive) and has some wonderful new pictures of some of our favorite ships. Some of them are from the scrapping process and break your heart. The most difficult picture to see is that of the Vera Cruz which was prepared for cruises by a Greek company (Ambassador Cruises under the name Fiesta) when she caught fire in Perama on October 24, 1999. The ship has been scrapped and all you see is its absolutely perfect white bow ... on the ground like the head of a fish that has been eaten entirely by a cat. Heartbreaking.

By the way, if you care about Greek Lines buy this book. It is excellent and costs only about 26 euros.
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 14-02-2009 στις 23:36 Αιτία: Additions

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή Πλωτώ

Ένα εξαιρετικό λεύκωμα που κυκλοφόρησε το 2002 ο ΕΛΙΑ είναι το "Πλωτώ. Έλληνες καραβοκύρηδες και εφοπλιστές από τα τέλη του 18ου αιώνα εως τον β' παγκ.πόλεμο". Εκδόσεις Παπασωτηρίου.

Για όσους ενδιαφέρονται για τις ιστορίες των παραδοσιακών ελλήνων εφοπλιστών με πλούσιο αρχειακό υλικό και φωτο, αξίζει να το έχουνε στη βιβλιοθήκη τους.

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή Greek Passenger Liners

Nicholas, thanks for your comments have only just read your thread on Bill Millers's book from February and yes I agree with you that it is a good publication with many interesting photos.

However I think he should have given more coverage to the smaller but no less important Greek companies which makes this publication so interesting. I understand the lack of space but quite frankly a photo and a couple of lines does'nt do justice to the likes of Med Sun Lines to name but one example! I know that it is difficult to cover such a wide subject and he does mention that it is only some of the companies covered in the book, but it is also very easy to concentrate on the bigger ones like Chandris, Epirotiki etc (on which more is already written) and ignore the smaller ones.

Having said this I immediately bought the book as I think it was very brave of him to tackle this fascinating subject in one volume. He should have done a set of them like the Anthony Cooke (Carmania Press series) books on smaller passenger ships, which are truly excellent and do justice to a whole range of lesser known vessels, many of them of Greek pedigree.

I think Greek passenger shipping still merits a bigger and better publication and I hope that it will come soon!!...........I can think of a very obvious candidate for such a project, who is passionate and knowledgeable on the subject and of Greece and who lives in Austin, Texas! I'll say no more

All the best
    Henry.
    (By the way I think your new thread on maritime and shipping books is an excellent idea. I hope to contribute to it eventually.)

Προεπιλογή

Henry

I fully agree with you. But I must admit that Bill Miller has a very wide range of interests and I do not expect him to know all the "smaller" Greek Lines and to be able to present them. I am still happy he collected what he collected and I am glad he wrote the text in a way that it is a delightful book to read.

I have often wondered whether a more serious effort on Greek passenger ships is needed. I have literary thousands of documents. I guess with help I could do it some day. I am not particularly happy by the superficiality of the Greek books (I know you do not read Greek; believe me many of the Greek maritime books offer little information). But I have a "day job" and an important one, so this will have to wait until after retirement... For me ocean liners and passenger ships are an avocation...

All my best

Nicholas/Nikos

Προεπιλογή G.2. Dunn, Mediterranean Shipping

G. 2. Laurence Dunn, Mediterranean Shipping, Carmania Press, London, 1999

This is the book that has already been mentioned in several threads of this Forum. It is a must for any Greek maritime enthusiast! The photographs are gorgeous and the associated text is exceptional.

The cover depicts our great Greek ship, Olympia.

D1.jpg

Then, I will show the general outline of two other 2-page layouts so that you can appreciate the book's style.

Below, you see page 71, all with Greek ships. The page starts with an unknown Greek ship that was probably doing the inter-island service. Under it is Sofia (1918, 1,722 tons, Nomikos Line and then John Togias) and after her Hellas (1893, 2,295 tons) of Hellenic Coast Lines

D2.jpg

And in page 73 we see Heliopolis (1903, 789 tons) of Typaldos, IonionKalamara (1893, 811 tons) of Typaldos and the heroic (1898, 217 tons) of Vatikioti that used to do Argosaronikos

D3.jpg

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή Mediterranean Shipping

I agree Nicholas it is an excellent publication.
    Another noteworthy vintage maritime book by Laurence Dunn is Passenger Liners. It is a veritable bible for the ship enthusiast and has a very good selection of Greek ships. I have an original 1961 edition published by Adlard Coles UK (in the USA it was John de Graaf I believe). Unfortunately because of its size and bulk I cannot scan it but am sure you must have it Nicholas. The front cover features a superb photo of Holland America's SS Statendam (later Rhapsody and Regent Star). All the best Henry.

Προεπιλογή G.3. Tzamtzis: the Greek Ocean Liners

G.3. A. T. Tzamtzis, The Greek Ocean Liners: 1907-1977, Miletos, Athens, undated

This is the classic reference for Greek Ocean Liners in Greece and abroad. It has been cited hundreds of times, praised even more, consulted abundantly... It is of course admirably that Tzamtzis collected all this information that appeared in this book for the first time about 20 years ago. Before this book, very few knew Moraitis and its importance, remembered Byron and Edison, or had any idea where King Alexander came from. As for Moreas, Asimina and Jenny, nobody had a clue. And Tzamtzis presents everything, right in front of our eyes with lots of information!

Then why is it that I am not jumping with joy when I grab this book? Why is it that I double check almost everything mentioned in the book now that the Internet has provided this exceptional luxury to check and double-check everything. Simply because there are some unfortunate editorial errors ...

Starting from a very minor thing first, there is no publishing date in this book, at least not in the Greek version that I have. Nowhere! Why?

And although the publication quality is very good, with printing on heavy paper, one other serious, unfortunate decision has been made! More than half of the ship photographs presented are "framed" in artificial, old-style, oval shaped borders. This is a bad decision as it takes away from the expanding nature and openness of the maritime pictures. This claustrophobic style of presentation does not allow the reader to appreciate the true magnitude of the ships. As if that were not enough, an unfortunate decision has been made to use the color sepia excessively.

I think these decisions show very poor editing, although I am wondering if there was another motive in selective this style of photography.. Throughout the book there is a sense that the author is editorializing. The various maritime companies and organizations are presented as careless, money-making conglomerates; they were not! Greek agents are presented as "users" of people, etc; they were not, they were just doing their jobs!

The most disappointing part of the book is the lack of care in proofreading and double checking the references... especially in the ships listing that starts on page 132. A minor complain is the "phonetic" translation of foreign names and words in Greek, often with poor intonation.

Be that as it may, this is the best Greek book on this subject and it will remain "the standard reference" for many years to come.

Tzamtzis.jpg

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Henry Casciaro Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    I agree Nicholas it is an excellent publication.
    Another noteworthy vintage maritime book by Laurence Dunn is Passenger Liners. It is a veritable bible for the ship enthusiast and has a very good selection of Greek ships. I have an original 1961 edition published by Adlard Coles UK (in the USA it was John de Graaf I believe). Unfortunately because of its size and bulk I cannot scan it but am sure you must have it Nicholas. The front cover features a superb photo of Holland America's SS Statendam (later Rhapsody and Regent Star). All the best Henry.
    Henry: I know the book but, unfortunately, I do not have it! I am still looking for a copy in specialty stores

Προεπιλογή

G.4. Eleftheria Traiou, Ocean Liners and Immigration, insert to Kathimerini (Dialy) of December 15, 1996

This 16-page insert is nice to have, mostly for its simple "stories" about immigration but it does not pass the test of time. Editing is of journalistic standards, not academic ones. For example, the ship in the well known 1938 photo in Castellorizo (page 5) is never identified as the Fiume, town and states in the USA are presented as if they were the same (compare Utah (a state), USA on rage 22 with Jacksonsville (a city in Florida), USA on page 23). And the article about immigration of M. Theodosopoulos on page 20 does not stand any critical analysis. To say that the Austro-hungarian ocean liners Sophia Hohenberg and Martha Washington were somehow very small and bad is simply distortion of the truth. I have presented these ships elsewhere and they were not "skylopnixtes" as the journalist claims... In another article, statements such as a comment that the USA does not like "strikes" and the new emigrants were not allowed to stage strikes are also naive and show journalistic lack of understanding of labor relations in the USA.

Still, I will keep this insert in my library and read it from time to time, especially admiring its big pictures

Kath1.jpg

Kath2.jpg

Προεπιλογή G.5. Tzamtzis: Coastal Shipping: the First 110 Years

G.5. A. I. Tzamtzis, Coastal Shipping, the First 110 Years: 1830-1940, an insert to Efoplistis (Shipowner) of February 1997.

My good friend Roi Baudoin sent me a copy of this booklet of 68 pages about two months ago. It is a highly recommended book with important information of the early days of Coastal Shipping (Aktoploïa) and numerous hard to find photographs. Tzamtzis provides a great basis of the legal infrastructure and political implications of Greek Shipping as it was growing in young Greece.

Highly recommended!!!

Here I show the cover page. You note Athinai of Pantaleon Lines

Ak1.jpg

Below you see Elsi

Ak2.jpg

Below Arkadia of Pantaleon Lines

Ak3.jpg

Σελίδα 1 από 7 123 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα