Ενα πολυσυζητημένο θέμα που χρόνια ψάχνει να βρεί τη λύση του. Μακάρι να πλησιάζει μια λύση τώρα αλλά το βλέπω εξαιρετικά δύσκολο. Είναι θέμα εμπιστοσύνης μεταξύ μελών το κυριώς πρόβλημα.

First Hellenic P&I Club closer to reality Monday, 02 June 2008

After years of preparation and battling with an absent legal framework, the first P&I Club of the country is expected to be up and running by this August. According its founder and president, Mr. Nikos Velliades, the newly-founded Hellenic P&I Club is to provide a high level of insurance services, aiming especially at smaller shipowning companies, but not only them. The Club will insure dry bulk carriers, cargo ships and passenger ships. Its official launch is scheduled for the end of August, while at this point in time, the Club’s efforts are focused in attaining the proper administrative staff, as well as the license of operation from the relative authority.
In the event held last week on the matter, Secretary General of the Ministry of Mercantile Marine, professor Yiannis Tzoannos, pointed out that the presence of P&I Clubs in the country are bringing the Ministry’s efforts to develop a maritime cluster and make Piraeus an international maritime centre, one step closer. The Hellenic P&I Club will offer Hellenic ship owners and ship operators a viable alternative of insurance within the country, without them having to seek such services abroad.
Mr. Velliades boasts an important experience when it comes to shipping insurance services. He’s the founder and head of Aigaion Insurance Co. S.A., the leading company in the country’s marine insurance sector. The total production of the company for the year 2007 was 35,050,659.27 euros, showing 44% premium increase compared to the production for the year 2006. The portfolio mix was 44.8% for Motor Public Liability businesses, 32.6% for Marine Insurances and 22.6% for all other classes. During the first quarter of the year 2008 there was a 36.5% premium increase compared to the corresponding period for the year 2007.

Nikos Roussanoglou, Hellenic Shipping News