Σελίδα 2 από 25 ΠρώτηΠρώτη 123412 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 11 έως 20 από 244

Θέμα: Oλυμπία [Regal Empress, Caribe I, Olympia]

Exclamation ONOMA PLOIARXOY-

ΣΤΑΜΑΤΗΣ ΠΟΛΕΜΗΣ ΗΤΑΝ ΤΟ ΟΝΟΜΑ ΤΟΥ ΠΡΩΤΟΥ ΠΛΟΙΑΡΧΟΥ-ΚΑΤΑΓΩΓΗ ΑΠΟ = ΣΤΕΝΙΕΣ ΑΝΔΡΟΥ-ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΗΣΑΝ Ο ΣΙΓΑΛΑΣ ΚΑΙ Ο ΚΑΤΣΙΚΗΣ ΙΩΑΝΝΗΣ ΕΦΟΠΛΙΣΤΗΣ ΣΗΜΕΡΑ-:razz:

Προεπιλογή

Στο site ssmaritime.com έχει ξεκινήσει μία καμπάνια για να μην καταλήξει το δικό μας ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑ μετά το 2009 σε κάποια ακτή της Ινδίας.
    Περισσότερες πληροφορίες εδώ. ssmaritime.com/olympia-campaign.htm

Περιοχή
    cologne

Προεπιλογή

the good commodore time
    Συνημένες Εικόνες Συνημένες Εικόνες

Προεπιλογή Old Olympia Ad

Here is a nice half-page advertisement of the Olympia from the ... Hellenic Who's Who 1962 published in Greek by the Hellenic Who's Who publishing house in Athens

Olympia.jpg

Προεπιλογή Olympia is going away. Does anybody care in Greece?

Dear friends

Our beloved Olympia, now Regal Empress, is in her final days.... And from the newspaper and other articles I have been reading the last two years, nobody in Greece cares... Why?

First let me say that there are many foreigners who care and do not want this great ship to go to Aliaga or Alang

Peter Knego, the well known ocean ship lover who runs the wonderful Web site Maritime Matters http://maritimematters.com/, has tried again and again to feature and highlight this ship and to save her from her last fate.. If you have not read his last article, posted on February 2, 2009, and if you are a Greek or a Philhellene you should read it http://maritimematters.blogspot.com/...ter-knego.html
    Peter knows about ships like nobody else. With permission, I will cite only two little segments of Olympian love from his latest article

There are plenty of ships offering such things but only one with acres of gorgeously polished empire hardwoods, nickel light sconces, acid-etched glass, teak decks (installed long before teak was exploited into endangered status), gracious curves and decades of history that speak to the willing listener with every creak and rattle the REGAL EMPRESS emits.

And a few lines below...

Fifty six in ship years is a very, very long time. At the equivalent of her age (112, perhaps? -- the two-to-one, ship-to-human age ratio is as good an estimate as any), we should all be so lucky to be in such condition, fully functioning and still doing what we were designed to do.

I wanted to take this last trip at the end of January as Peter took, to pay my respects to the grand lady of Greek shipping, the vessel that carried the Greek name throughout the world with great pride for almost 60 years, but my University responsibilities and research did not allow me to do it. I am so sad and sorry now that I did not!

In his latest article, Peter Knego presents some gorgeous pictures of the great Dame, pictures that he took just last week during her last cruise from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Nassau, Bahamas. And if you have never visited Peter's history of the Olympia with all the details and gorgeous pictures from her past, located in http://www.maritimematters.com/regalempress1.html I highly recommend you stop everything you are doing now and read it!

And after this presentation, if you call yourselves supporters of the Greek Shipping patrimony and nautilia.gr , you should start a campaign immediately, you should take your pen or your computer and write to President Karolos Papoulias and to Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis with the message to save OLYMPIA, to bring her back to Greece now and to transform her into a museum.... She may be placed permanently in Neon Faliron or Floisvos and become a Museum of Immigration, a Museum of the Greek Passenger Shipping, even a Museum of Greek Maritime History.

Please do not tell me we are in difficult financial times and there is no money... Come on! After spending billions of euros in Olympic Games sites that are now abandoned, idle, destroyed, pillaged everywhere, you cannot tell me that the Greek government cannot put together a $15M offer tomorrow morning to buy and bring back the Great Dame to the place where she should be.... We did it for a Liberty (to celebrate the Greek shipowners?), why not do it with Olympia to celebrate all Hellenes?

Think about it and Help Save Olympia!

Meanwhile, go to Peter Knego's http://www.maritimematters.com/regalempress1.html and enjoy his wonderful eight-page tribute of this gorgeous ship....

Nikos Peppas
    Austin, Texas
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 09-02-2009 στις 18:36 Αιτία: Correction of errors

Προεπιλογή Olympia ad from ELS program of 1957

An interesting scan from my opera memorabilia collection.

This is a program of the 1956-57 season of the National Lyric Opera of Athens (Ethniki Lyriki Skini, ELS). In fact it is from the May 11, 1957 performance of Verdi's opera Rigoletto with Kostas Paskalis (the great Greek baritone (1929-2007) that we lost so suddenly last year).

The advertisement is for Goulandris' Greek Line and its Olympia.

Picture 3a.JPGPicture 4a.JPG

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Nicholas Peppas Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Our beloved Olympia, now Regal Empress, is in her final days.... And from the newspaper and other articles I have been reading the last two years, nobody in Greece cares... Why?
    Eίναι πραγματικά κρίμα να χαθεί ένα τέτοιο καράβι-σύμβολο. Το κακό Νίκο είναι πως δεν υπάρχει ναυτική παιδεία ... μάλλον δεν υπάρχει καν παιδεία ... και τέτοιες πρωτοβουλίες περνάνε απαρατήρητες.

Ακόμη και το Λίμπερτυ είναι μια πονεμένη ιστορία. Ποιός θυμάται (εγω δεν θυμάμαι, απλά έχω ακούσει) για την προσπάθεια που έγινε στα μέσα της δεκαετίας 80 για τη διάσωση των 2 τελευταίων "ελληνικών" λίμπερτυ. Κανείς δεν έκανε τότε αυτό που έπρεπε και χρειάστηκε να περάσουν 25 χρόνια για να επανορθώσουμε φέρνοντας ένα πλοίο που δεν το ταξίδεψαν έλληνες για να παίξει το ρόλο του ελληνικού λίμπερτυ. Και πάλι καλά...

Φοβάμαι οτι όταν καταλάβουμε τι σημαίνει ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑ θα είναι αργά. Και στην περίπτωση του ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑ δεν υπάρχουν κόπιες για να φέρουμε μετά απο 25 χρόνια. Όταν το έφτιαξαν μετά το έσπασαν το καλούπι...

Προεπιλογή

A season later, here is a Greek advertisement for Goulandris' Greek Line Olympia.

This is a program of the 1958-59 season of the National Lyric Opera of Athens (Ethniki Lyriki Skini, ELS). In fact it is from the October 10, 1958 performance of Verdi's opera Aida with famous Greek soprano Rena Kanaki, Angelo LoForese, Dino Dondi, Franca Sacchi, Evangelos Marsellos and Petros Hoidas.

Goulandris' Olympia advertisement is quite striking. Interesting to see also Onassis' Olympic Airways ad... the latter was not flying to New York yet... They would soon and that would be the beginning of the end for transatlantic lines...
    Picture 6a.JPGPicture 8a.JPGPicture 5b.JPG

In the summer of 1955, the first Athens Festival was held at the Odeon Herodes Atticus in Athens. It was a magnificent opportunity to feature the Greek patrimony, the great Greek artists of opera and theater but also the great Greek companies. The scans shown here are from my copy of the 1955 program, a program that I have kept with much pride for 54 years. I was just 7 years old and my father took me to listen to Dimitri Mitropoulos (1896-1960) and the New York Philharmonic Orchestra... Of course Mitropoulos was then the main conductor of NYPhO. Several recordings of this performance exists, a performance that was moved to the Pallace theater/cinema because of rain! But the audience was equally dreamy and when Mitropoulos started conducting the Four Greek Dances of Nikos Skalkottas, we were all crying (listen to the CD from the live performance) ... By the time of the Keftikos there was an unspoken pride in our cultural patrimony... At the end there was an apotheosis of Mitropoulos and NYPhO.

From the program of this Festival, here is a set of covers and ads of Olympia

Picture 10a.JPGPicture 12a.JPG

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Nicholas Peppas Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    I was just 7 years old and my father took me to listen to Dimitri Mitropoulos (1896-1960) and the New York Philharmonic Orchestra... Of course Mitropoulos was then the main conductor of NYPhO.
    A very interesting tidbit connecting the above ad of Goulandris' Olympia and the NYPhO perfomances with Dimitri Mitropoulos in 1955 was that the costs of transportation, hotel accommodation and union payments for all the NYPhO musicians were so high that the Greek Government could not afford to cover them; they informed the Orchestra rather late... Guess who jumped in and personally covered the expenses of the NYPhO's visit in Athens! Yes, Goulandris!
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Ellinis : 17-05-2013 στις 20:28

Προεπιλογή Another Olympia ad from the ELS playbill of 1960

Here is one more Greek advertisement for Goulandris' Greek Line Olympia.

This is from a program/playbill of the 1959-60 season of the National Lyric Opera of Athens (Ethniki Lyriki Skini, ELS). In fact it is from the February 8, 1960 performance (see ticket) of Puccini's opera Madama Butterfly with Greek soprano Zoe Vlachopoulou and tenor Mihalis Koronis. Of the singers shown on the right, the one with the most prominent career was Nikos Daskalakis who was a noted bass of ELS and the 1970s and early 1980s

Picture 18a.JPG

Περιοχή
    cologne

Προεπιλογή

today is the day !
    at midnight 13/14 march, fort lauderdale time, drive the "greek queen " regal empress to.................
    no destination!
    www.maritimematters.com
    but we all have the answer ..............alang! or????
    why she is not coming back to greece??
    it is your one and only great liner ?!
    sad very sad

Σελίδα 2 από 25 ΠρώτηΠρώτη 123412 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία