Σελίδα 3 από 25 ΠρώτηΠρώτη 1234513 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 21 έως 30 από 244

Θέμα: Oλυμπία [Regal Empress, Caribe I, Olympia]

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από britanis Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    today is the day !
    at midnight 13/14 march, fort lauderdale time, drive the "greek queen " regal empress to.................
    no destination!
    www.maritimematters.com
    but we all have the answer ..............alang! or????
    why she is not coming back to greece??
    it is your one and only great liner ?!
    sad very sad
    Thanks for telling us. Sad day indeed. For those that will not bother to chek this is what's written here
    REGAL EMPRESS Update
    March 11: Imperial Majesty Cruise Line's MV REGAL EMPRESS is at Fort Lauderdale and technically still in operation (but with no scheduled revenue sailings) and a decision on the ship's future has not yet been announced. The company is still in business but will no longer be sailing to the Bahamas. In the interim, REGAL EMPRESS is scheduled to depart Fort Lauderdale at midnight on March 13/14 for an undetermined destination.
    NB: Regal Empress is of course Olympia..

Προεπιλογή

Watch this last video produced by Peter Knego about the last days of our Olympia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KofFKsklUOs or http://www.maritimematters.com/video.html

Olympia.jpg

More Olympia this year
    Olympia2.jpg

Olympia3.jpg

Περιοχή
    cologne

Προεπιλογή

and she was over years THE number 1 US cruise ship !
    every year the cleanest and best cruiser 98 point sometimes 100!
    last year the last time !
    THIS IS QUALITY & STYLE & HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    that is the point with a very big - ? - why the hellas liberty is safed and restouration????????????
    her is a TOP LINER LINER!
    i am so angry ...................NORWAY:::::::::EUGENIO C::::::MERMOZ:::::::::MAXIM GORKY...............................why??????

Προεπιλογή

and she was over years THE number 1 US cruise ship !
    every year the cleanest and best cruiser 98 point sometimes 100!
    last year the last time !
    THIS IS QUALITY & STYLE & HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    that is the point with a very big - ? - why the hellas liberty is safed and restouration????????????
    her is a TOP LINER LINER!
    i am so angry ...................NORWAY:::::::::EUGENIO C::::::MERMOZ:::::::::MAXIM GORKY...............................why??????
    I am equally upset. Read my letter a few weeks ago below... I guess people prefer to go to their local shopping mall in a boat and forget life in the neon lights for a few days... And then go back to routine... What difference does it make to them if the bridge of a ship looks like this? Hey, it is not plastic!!! What is this polished wood thing? That's old!

Olympia4.jpg
    Dear friends

Our beloved Olympia, now Regal Empress, is in her final days.... And from the newspaper and other articles I have been reading the last two years, nobody in Greece cares... Why?

First let me say that there are many foreigners who care and do not want this great ship to go to Aliaga or Alang

Peter Knego, the well known ocean ship lover who runs the wonderful Web site Maritime Matters http://maritimematters.com/, has tried again and again to feature and highlight this ship and to save her from her last fate.. If you have not read his last article, posted on February 2, 2009, and if you are a Greek or a Philhellene you should read it http://maritimematters.blogspot.com/...ter-knego.html
    Peter knows about ships like nobody else. With permission, I will cite only two little segments of Olympian love from his latest article

There are plenty of ships offering such things but only one with acres of gorgeously polished empire hardwoods, nickel light sconces, acid-etched glass, teak decks (installed long before teak was exploited into endangered status), gracious curves and decades of history that speak to the willing listener with every creak and rattle the REGAL EMPRESS emits.

And a few lines below...

Fifty six in ship years is a very, very long time. At the equivalent of her age (112, perhaps? -- the two-to-one, ship-to-human age ratio is as good an estimate as any), we should all be so lucky to be in such condition, fully functioning and still doing what we were designed to do.

I wanted to take this last trip at the end of January as Peter took, to pay my respects to the grand lady of Greek shipping, the vessel that carried the Greek name throughout the world with great pride for almost 60 years, but my University responsibilities and research did not allow me to do it. I am so sad and sorry now that I did not!

In his latest article, Peter Knego presents some gorgeous pictures of the great Dame, pictures that he took just last week during her last cruise from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Nassau, Bahamas. And if you have never visited Peter's history of the Olympia with all the details and gorgeous pictures from her past, located in http://www.maritimematters.com/regalempress1.html I highly recommend you stop everything you are doing now and read it!

And after this presentation, if you call yourselves supporters of the Greek Shipping patrimony and nautilia.gr , you should start a campaign immediately, you should take your pen or your computer and write to President Karolos Papoulias and to Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis with the message to save OLYMPIA, to bring her back to Greece now and to transform her into a museum.... She may be placed permanently in Neon Faliron or Floisvos and become a Museum of Immigration, a Museum of the Greek Passenger Shipping, even a Museum of Greek Maritime History.

Please do not tell me we are in difficult financial times and there is no money... Come on! After spending billions of euros in Olympic Games sites that are now abandoned, idle, destroyed, pillaged everywhere, you cannot tell me that the Greek government cannot put together a $15M offer tomorrow morning to buy and bring back the Great Dame to the place where she should be.... We did it for a Liberty (to celebrate the Greek shipowners?), why not do it with Olympia to celebrate all Hellenes?

Think about it and Help Save Olympia!

Meanwhile, go to Peter Knego's http://www.maritimematters.com/regalempress1.html and enjoy his wonderful eight-page tribute of this gorgeous ship....

Nikos Peppas
    Austin, Texas

Περιοχή
    cologne

Προεπιλογή

she is drive to freeport
    and wait for sold
    Συνημένες Εικόνες Συνημένες Εικόνες
    • Τύπος Αρχείου: jpg cari.jpg (140,5 KB, 50 εμφανίσεις)

Προεπιλογή

So yesterday night departed for last time with destination Freeport?? and after waiting the next destination (Alang or other) ???I hope no as is very beautifull ship, a classic ship!

Περιοχή
    cologne

Προεπιλογή

yes and many ships give her a salut!
    i think the same than by the NORWAY at bremerhaven!
    but there was the disaster that the new pride of horror came into the port and she gave with his plastic horn a salut! horror
    for all NORWAY fans a disaster and shamless!!
    i hope this liner have a future..............but.............i have hope by all ships .........and i give all by my BRITANIS! from letters to citys........and UNESCO to safe here as industry memorial.........but nothing!
    by all old ships,rotterdam,eugenio c,etc after the long laid up is the restauration very expensiv!
    but ships : maxim gorkiy or regal empress direkt from service and top ........is only the place the question not the price!
    and when you have a famous port city,perfekt
    long beach,queen mary! this city is a village not a city!and when she stay in new york,san fransisco perfekt and a special with all cruise lines that the passenger stay one night on board...........you have succsess!
    the same is piraeus or hamburg...........but.....all see long beach!!!!
    rotterdam with the ROTTERDAM is perfekt!
    and what i never understand is : why save city war-ships? no rooms nothings! only everday a tours,evening closed!!!

i have became last week the book from 2006 "passangerliner" from Arnold kludas.......this is my last book!in the next book is nothing for me.only plastik monster liner!
    i have search the last time in my prospekt collection 1980-2007 only a hand drive at the sea ......................5 from.........;-(
    this is the time that i think i am old and the friends died.......and one day.......all are gone....only the memories,pictures,modells,movies.................s ad sad .....but

Περιοχή
    East Med

Cool The reality

the question not the price!
    I am sure price is an issue in the preservation efforts of a ship. Unfortunately, the ship enthusiasts are a small minority and there is little reason for the Greek government to mobilize its resources to save the Olympia. However, there are deeper issues that already Nicholas mentioned in his excellent report about the saving of the Olympia. Nicholas said it best and it epitomizes everything about the current state of affairs in Greece.

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Nicholas Peppas Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    I guess people prefer to go to their local shopping mall in a boat and forget life in the neon lights for a few days... And then go back to routine... What difference does it make to them if the bridge of a ship looks like this? Hey, it is not plastic!!! What is this polished wood thing? That's old!
    Just look what is the state of the archaeological sites. A great example of Greece's respect of her heritage is the unbelievable mess in the Akrotiri site of Santorini. After three years of the roof collapse, there is little progress of replacing the roof in one of the most important historical sites in Greece. It is a joke to think that the Greek bureaucracy would be interested in the preservation of any historical ship.

Disclaimer: I am not arguing against Olympia's preservation efforts but I feel the need to clarify some points about the reality and put the issue in perspective by the Greek "standards".
    [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][I][U][URL="http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6466/elliios1972sig.jpg"]Κυκλαδίτικο Ξαραθύμιο[/URL][/U][/I][/COLOR][/B]

Προεπιλογή

yes and many ships give her a salut!
    i think the same than by the NORWAY at bremerhaven!
    but there was the disaster that the new pride of horror came into the port and she gave with his plastic horn a salut! horror
    for all NORWAY fans a disaster and shamless!!
    For all of us who have been lamenting the demise of the Olympia, I have one general comment. The international rules are changing in 2010 and if Olympia were to continue operating they would have to adopt drastic changes that would make her unprofitable. So, it comes down to safety and money. I was not expecting any cruise line to keep her. Besides, look at the comments of recent passengers in the last two years... They all complain that the public rooms are small, the facilities are not great, etc. The people who populate these very inexpensive 2 and 3-day cruises that the Olympia used to do recently are people who care only about something very simple and very basic: lots of average food, a silly show, a few slot machines, a swimming pol, a dance floor and ... booze.

The Olympia operators made a huge mistake. As she is 56 years old they should have used her in specialty cruises for people who wanted to relive the past! They should have made it the boat for the older, sophisticated (not necessarily rich) travelers who wanted to relive the old times....

So, the problem is not now the safety and the huge changes that are required in 2010... The problem is that the Greek Government did not appreciate the importance of buying and having this particular ship in Greece... I can think of no other vessel that could become a floating museum of our Maritime History...

Pity, pity, pity

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από paroskayak Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    I am sure price is an issue in the preservation efforts of a ship. Unfortunately, the ship enthusiasts are a small minority and there is little reason for the Greek government to mobilize its resources to save the Olympia. However, there are deeper issues that already Nicholas mentioned in his excellent report about the saving of the Olympia. Nicholas said it best and it epitomizes everything about the current state of affairs in Greece.

Just look what is the state of the archaeological sites. A great example of Greece's respect of her heritage is the unbelievable mess in the Akrotiri site of Santorini. After three years of the roof collapse, there is little progress of replacing the roof in one of the most important historical sites in Greece. It is a joke to think that the Greek bureaucracy would be interested in the preservation of any historical ship.

Disclaimer: I am not arguing against Olympia's preservation efforts but I feel the need to clarify some points about the reality and put the issue in perspective by the Greek "standards".

Thanks for the comments Niko. This Forum is too small to be able to change things. Yes, you are absolutely right that there is a deeper need for change in our concern for the preservation of the Greek patrimony... The question is political but is also cultural... I come back to Greece often (I left in 1971) and I am appalled how the younger generations are not told about the successes and the international recognition of the Greek theater, Greek music, Greek arts, etc... There are so many small examples... For example, although Olympia was a great Greek ocean liner I would not expect more that one in ten present Greeks to know the name...

I agree with your points and I resign to the thought that certain things will be kept in the hearts of a few, they will be classified or written in two-three history books, and they will come back 50-100 years later as simply "historical vignettes or -sadly- trivia"

Περιοχή
    cologne

Προεπιλογή

to late
    she is sold to india

Σελίδα 3 από 25 ΠρώτηΠρώτη 1234513 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •