Σελίδα 1 από 16 12311 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 1 έως 10 από 159

Θέμα: Ξένα υπερωκεάνεια για Έλληνες μετανάστες [Foreign liners for Greek Immigrants]

Προεπιλογή Ξένα υπερωκεάνεια για Έλληνες μετανάστες [Foreign liners for Greek Immigrants]

Alice

Alice was a small Austrian ocean liner that was used by many Greek immigrants to the United States.

She was built in 1907 by Russell & Co in Glasgow, Scotland. She had 6,122 tons and triple expansion engines with twin screws. She was 415 ft long and 49.5 ft wide. The attached postcard is from my personal collection and shows her in its glory in 1908.

But she was a rather small and not very popular ship. She was definitely an immigrant ship and carried 1,625 passengers, of which just 50 (!) in first class, 75 in second class and 1,500 in third class. She had just one funnel and two masts. The readers of this site recall that immigrants of those days were selecting their boats for transfer to the States based on the number of funnels as mor efunnels meant better ships! In fact, some ships of HAPAG and other companies had additional fake funnels to impress their customers.

Alice did not have a steerage class but rather huge rooms or enclosed areas with primitive bank beds, stationing typically 50 to 60 per room. She was part of the Unione Austro-Americana, known also as Cosulich Line. Old documents state that the Cosulich family was more "humane" in their treatment of these immigrants with respect to others, especially the French Messageries and Fabre companies.

Cosulich was based in Trieste (the Greek Tergesti) which along with Venice and Vienna were the three major European "Greek Centers" of the pre-1821 period. Trieste continued to have a significant Greek population as late as 1912. For those readers who visit this wonderful city, a "must" is their visit of the Greek Orthodox cathedral of Aghios Nikolaos (San Nicolò dei Greci (1787)) which is close to the center and the big square. This church by the architect Matteo Pertsch (1818), with bell-towers on both sides of the facade, follows the Austrian late baroque style. But please make sure you visit the Greek churchas the more impressive Orthodox church in town is the Serbian Orthodox church of Aghios Spyridon (San Spiridione)

Cosulich was established by Callisto Cosulich (many names in Friuli and Veneto have last names ending in -ich) and his wife Maria Elisabetta Zar. The family had ten children. They moved to Trieste in 1890 and started with some small ships used for various special assignments. One of them, the 2,095 ton Anna of 1899 (see attached photograph) was in fact used in one of the Greek upheavals in Crete, although I do not know exactly which one. When Unione Austro-Americana was established in 1903, two of its Greek managers insisted that at least on eof its ships stop in Patras. Thus, from 1907 on, Alice and her sisters Kaiser Franz Joseph I and Sofia Hohenberg (more on them later) were serving the route Trieste, Patras, Palermo, New York with stops also in Ragusa (Dubrovnik), Spalato (Split), Naples, Barcelona, or Las Palmas de Mallorca. And this is indeed the reason why Alice was a popular oceanliner for Greek immigrants...

She was slow, with a service speed of 13 knots and a maximum speed of 15 knots but was less expensive than the big German and Italian ocean liners. In fact, its Patraic agent was extremely active and was recruiting poor farmers from Peloponnese giving a run for its money to Moraitis, the first Greek oceanliner that started service to New York also in 1907.

After 1912 she served mostly the Mediterranean route (to Palerma and Algiers) but in the middle of World War I (see second photograph showing a truly dilapidated Alice) she was transferred to the South American route. There she was seized by the Brazilian government in 1917 and was renamed Asia. She was given to France in 1919 as reparations and was assigned to Fabre Line.

She was placed in the Marseilles-New York line but it was impossible to compete because by 1924 the immigration laws of the United States became very strict and she could not carry her typical poorest of the poor customers, plus she had to compete with the wonderful French vessels of the 1920s, vessel such as the legendary Paris.

Like many other wonderful ships in more recent times, she was transferred to various routes including carrying pilgrims from Algeria and Marocco to Mecca. There, she came to her end, destroyed by a fire on April 21, 1930. But Alice along with Kaiser Franz Joseph I and Sofia Hohenberg has a special place in the early Greek immigrants story...

NB: Alice should not be confused with Princess Alice. The passenger liner Princess Alice (1900) displaced 10,911 tons and was built by the A.G. Vulcan Shipyard in Stettin, Pomerania. She had been commissioned as Kiautschou by the HAPAG Shipping line of Hamburg in 1900, and was purchased and renamed by the North German Lloyd of Bremen in 1904. She was held an American port in 1917 upon their declaration of war.

Alice.jpg
    Alice

Alice 2.jpg
    Alice

Callisto Cosulich.jpg
    Callisto Cosulich

Anna.jpg
    Anna

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα - Ν. Σμύρνη

Προεπιλογή

Τα στοιχεία που περιέχονται στο παρακάτω συν/νο είναι από την ιστοσελίδα <www.koutouzis.gr>
    Συνημμένα Αρχεία Συνημμένα Αρχεία

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή Kaiser Franz Joseph I - Presidente Wilson - Marco Polo

Σε συνέχεια των όσων έγραψε ο Νίκος, έψαξα και βρήκα μια παλιά Ελληνική διαφήμιση της Unione Austro-Americana.

austroamer1.jpg

Το πλοίο που εικονίζεται πρέπει να είναι το Kaiser Franz Joseph I, ένα πλοίο ναυπήγησης 1912 που με αυτό το όνομα ταξίδεψε μόνο 2 χρόνια καθώς ο 1ος παγκόσμιος το κράτησε δεμένο στην Τεργέστη. Με την διάλυση της Αυστρο-Ουγγαρίας και την απώλεια των παραλίων, η εταιρεία μετανομάσεται το 1919 σε Cosulich Line, και συνεχίζει της δραστηριότητες της από την Τεργέστη.
    Το Kaiser Franz Joseph I, μετανομάσεται Presidente Wilson και συνεχίζει να περνάει από την Πάτρα.

Το 1929 πωλήται στη Lloyd Triestino και μετανομάσεται Gange για πλόες προς Απω Ανατολή. Στο δρομολόγιο του προς Αμερική το αντικαθιστούν τα Saturnia και Vulcania. Μια φωτογραφία ενός από τα δύο στην Πάτρα έχουμε εδώ.

Το 1936 μετανομάσεται Marco Polo και ταξιδεύει μεταξύ Τεργέστης και Αλεξάνδρειας. Πιθανότατα θα πέρναγε και απο Ελληνικά λιμάνια. Την επόμενη χρόνια συνεχίζει για τη Adriatica στην ίδια γραμμή.

Το τέλος του ήρθε με το 2ο παγκόσμιο. Κατασχεμένο απο τους Γερμανούς θα το αυτοβυθίσουν το 1945 για να μπλοκάρουν το λιμάνι της Τεργέστη. Το ναυάγιο του ανελκύστηκε και διαλύθηκε το 1949/50.

Για φωτογραφίες και απο το εσωτερικό του δείτε εδώ.
    Καρτ ποστάλ με τα σινιάλα της Adriatica εδώ.
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Ellinis : 20-04-2013 στις 12:54

Προεπιλογή

My friend Ellinis caught me unprepared. Last night I was thinking it was time to present the other two Unione Austro-Americana ships of importance to our Greek immigration to the USA... And I was thinking it would be appropriate to also mention the twoo great successors, Vulcania and Saturnia...

And here I wake up this morning and I read about ... Kaiser Franz Joseph I!

The third ship was Sofia Hohenberg**. She was built in Cantiere del'Arsenale of Muggia/Trieste in 1905, a true immigrant ship with 5,491 tons. She had length of 360 ft with beam of 48 ft. She had one funnel and a single screw. She could carry 1,550 passengers in third class, just 50 in second and 30 in first, She was launched in September 1905 and for two years she did 12 trips to New York starting from Trieste and often stopping at Patras, Palermo and/or Messina. But she was slow.... just 12 knots!

In August 1907 she was transferred to the New Orleans-South American route, although New Orleans was in the route for just one year (1907-08. Her last trips on this route (that I could find) were in 1913.

From 1914-17 she was listed as a ship used... as a frozen meat depot at Castelnuovo!... Early n 1918 she was used as a hospital ship in Bocche di Cattaro (today's Boka Kotorska, the natural bay of Kotor in Montenegro). In August 1918 she was transferred to Cosulich Lines. She was renamed Sofia and did a few more transatlantic trips. But by the early 1920s, 5,000 ton ships were too small for the competitive Italy-USA route. She was scrapped in 1929.

Here is a picture from http://www.agenziabozzo.it/vecchie_navi/B-Vapore/Navi_1850-1950_B_259_SOFIA_.htm
    but I have some doubts as she is listed as Sofia in 1915. This is not possible as in 1915 she was not doing any routes and was not renamed yet.
    Sofia.jpg

Here is another one.
    Sofia sketch.JPG

By the way, recently I went through her passenger lists on the way to New York City. She seemed to be the favorite ship of emigrants from Banat, Bukovina, Bosnia, Montenegro and Western Romania. There were, however, a few Greeks in her lists.

** For those still wondering, Sofia Hohenberg (1868-1914) was the wife of Crown Prince Franz Ferdinand of the Austro-hungarian Empire. She was assassinated along with her husband by Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo on June 28, 1914 and this sparked the beginning of World War I.

Προεπιλογή European Passenger Ship Arrivals

For those interested in the European passenger ships and their dates of travel to the USA, the following site maybe helpful. It is a copy of (most of the pages) of the Morton Allan Directory of European Passenger Steamship Arrivals

http://books.google.com/books?id=yep...result#PPP1,M1

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

Tα δυο εικονιζόμενα ως Sofia, δεν μου φαίνονται για το ίδιο πλοίο. Το πρώτο μου θυμίζει εγγλέζικο σχέδιο με το ακομοδέσιο της γέφυρας να ξεχωρίζει απο το υπόλοιπο κομμάτι.

Υπήρχε ένα ακόμη πλοίο που έκανε υπερατλαντικά ταξίδια για τη Cosulich, το Martha Washington. Μήπως να είναι αυτό;

Ο πλήρης στόλος της Cosulich υπάρχει εδώ.

Προεπιλογή

I would say the two pictures of Sofia Hohenberg are of teh same ship. The sketch (No 2) maybe be an oversimplifying image by the artist.

Martha Washington was another important ship (1908, 8,500 tons). But she had two funnels as you can see below. She was not really involved in the Greek emigrants transfer.
    Please look also at http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuil...p.asp?id=17908

Martha Washington1.jpg Martha Washington2.jpg

This is from the Ellis Island Web site:
    Built by Russell & Co, Port Glasgow, Scotland, 1908. 8,347 gross tons; 460 (bp) feet long; 58 feet wide. Steam triple expansion engines, twin screw. Service speed 17 knots. 2,190 passengers (60 first class, 130 second class, 2,000 third class).Two funnels and two masts. Two decks and shelter deck, steel.
    Built for Austro-Americana Line, Austrian flag, in 1908 and named Martha Washington. Trieste-New York service. Laid up at New York 1914-17 owing to World War I. Seized by US Government, in 1917. Troopship service. Sold to Cosulich Line, Italian flag, in 1922. New York to Algiers, Venice and Trieste, later South America service. Sold to Lloyd Triestino, Italian flag, in 1933 and renamed Tel Aviv. Burned and scrapped in 1934.
    Martha Washington.jpg

A nice Cosulich ad from 1920 connects several of the ships mentioned above.

Cosulich ad 1930.JPG
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Ellinis : 13-01-2014 στις 21:16

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

To Belvedere που αναφέρει η αφίσα επίσης πέρναγε από την Πάτρα.

Τα παρακάτω απο το theshiplists.com

BELVEDERE was built by Cantiere Navale Triestino, Monfalcone in 1913 for the Austrian company, Unione Austriaca. She was a 7,644 gross ton ship, length 418ft x beam 54ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a service speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 12-1st, 140-2nd and 1,274-3rd class passengers. Launched on 8/4/1913 for the South American service, but she sailed on 30/8/1913 on her maiden voyage from Trieste for Patras, Messina, Palermo, Algiers and New York. She commenced her last voyage on this service on 20/6/1914 and in 1918 served as a barracks for arsenal workers at Pola. After the war, following a change from Austrian to Italian rule, the company was re-established at Trieste as Cosulich Societa Triestina di Navigazione. She commenced her first postwar voyage on 10/4/1919 from Genoa to Messina and New York with troops. On 13/8/1919 she resumed passenger services from Trieste to Patras, Palermo, Naples and New York. She started her last crossing on 18/9/1922 when she sailed from Trieste for Naples, Algiers and New York and from 1922 - 1936 was used on the South American passenger service. From 1936 she was used for cargo only and in 1941 was seized by the US at Philadelphia and renamed AUDACIOUS. In June 1944 she was scuttled off the Normandy coast as part of "Operation Gooseberry" (Concrete harbour units) [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1333]
    Kαι η φωτογραφία του:
    audacious as belvedere scuttled normandy 44.jpg

Προεπιλογή

What an ugly ship!

Προεπιλογή Cyprien Fabre Lines and Greek Immigration

Another company that provided regular service between Piraeus and various ports in the USA was Cyprien Fabre Cie. The Fabre Lines has service from Piraeus to New York through Marseille.

Of course Tzamtzis in his book Greek Oceanliners: 1907-1977 mentions Fabre Line but only in passing. He shows photographs of Canada (pp 20 and 22 in the Greek edition) and Patria (p 21) but gives little further analysis

Fabre Lines is a very old shipping company, perhaps not as famous as
    the bigger Compagnie generale transatlantique (CGT or French line)
    and the Compagnie de messageries maritimeses) but quite serviceable.

Here is an advertisement of Fabre Lines and two (similar yet different) pictures of Canada.

Fabre had an ambitious schedule and as late as 1928 they were serving not only Piraeus but also Thessaloniki and Constantinople. For example, in 1931 Patria was doing cruises from New York, Boston, Ponta Delgada (Azores), Lisbon, Tangier, Algiers, Palermo, Naples, Villefranche, Messina, Piraeus, Constantinople, Beirut, Haifa, Jaffa, Port Said, Alexandria, Malta, Syracuse (Sicily) and Marseilles.

Fabre started as a small company of sailing ships and passenger ships in the Mediterranean Sea. It was fomred in 1881 as the Compagnie francaise de navigation a vapeur Cyprien Fabre & compagnie . They had service to New York, then to New Orleans and South America, then back to New York until 1934 when they discontinued the service.

Canada was a 1912 vessel of 9,684 tons that was scrapped in Wales in 1952. Patria was the third ship with this name; she was a 1914 ship of 11,885 tons. She was chartered in 1932 by Messageries and purchased our ight bu them in 1940 only to be lost by sabotage in Haifa, Palestine in 1940 with approximately 280 dead.

Fabre.JPG Canada2.JPG

Canada.jpg

Fabre2.jpg Patria.jpg

Σελίδα 1 από 16 12311 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία