Θέμα: Ερμής (1) [Hermes, Jupiter]

Hybrid View

Προηγούμενο μήνυμα Προηγούμενο μήνυμα   Επόμενο Μήνυμα Επόμενο Μήνυμα
    Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή Ερμής (1) [Hermes, Jupiter]

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Nicholas Peppas Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    You are absolutely right.

Hermes (built in 1915, 2,625 tons) was the first of three vessels with such a name. She was with Epirotiki from 1955 to 1960. Before that she was Jupiter and was based in Bergen, Norway. She was doing the route England-Bergen. Nice ship (see attached). But I had not mentioned her before because I do not believe she was doing normal passenger routes in Greece. In fact, http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/bergen.htm presents her as a cruise ship

What happened to her after 1960?
    Αυτό που έχω διαβάσει είναι πως το 1960 καταστράφηκε από πυρκαγιά στον Πειραιά -ή κάπου γύρω- και προσαράχτηκε, πιθανώς για να αποφευθεί βύθιση. Κατόπιν πουλήθηκε για διάλυση στο Σπλιτ.

Περιοχή
    Ραφήνα

Προεπιλογή the first "Hermes" of Epirotiki

The greatphotographer and writterLaurence Dunnhas written an excellent book with the title
    "Mediterranean Shipping" ("Carmania Press").
    On that book Laurence Dunn refered to the first "Hermes" of Epirotiki:

"The Hermes (1915/2557) became Epirotiki's largest passenger ship when she was bought in 1955. She was built as the 16-knot Jupiter for the Bergen Line's service from Bergen to Newcastle and, apart from North Aplantic liners, was the fastest vessel under the Norwegian flag.

Her career as the "Hermes" included a French charter for use between Maseilles and Odessa and a stint as a hotel ship during the production of the film "Boy and Dolphin".
    Shiprepair yards are notorious for outbreaks of fire, and whilst refitting at Piraeus in 1960 the Hernes burned and became a total loss."

Στα καταστρώματα του πρέπει να περπάτησε, λοιπόν, η Σοφία Λώρεν.
    Η Ύδρα, "Το παιδί και το δελφίνι" και ένα τραγούδι του Τάκη Μωράκη από την ταινία
    "Τι είναι αυτό που το λένε αγάπη, τι ειν' αυτό;"

Αφιερωμένο εξαιρετικά.
    Το πρώτο "Ερμής" της Ηπειρωτικής από το βιβλίο του Laurence Dunn.

Hermes.jpg

Προεπιλογή Αιγεύς [Kefallinia, Aegeus, Oslo]

I have avoided bringing up photographs and facts from Mediterranean Shipping of Laurence Dunn because it is such a standard reference that I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that everybody has a copy...

I am astonished by the great quality of his photographs, especially when it comes to the very early ships

For those who do not know the book, Dunn has pictures (and small comments) about the following Greek ships (year of building in parenthesis).

Sofia (1918), Hellas (1893), Frinton (1903), Heliopolis (1903), Ionion (1893), Kalamara (1898, spelled as Cala Mara (sic)), Teti (1943), Philippos (1940), Aegeon (1911), Kolokotronis (1952), Glaros (1904), Agamemnon (1953), Kanaris (1952), Semiramis (1935), Apollon (1953), Aphrodite (1965), Hermes (1915), second Hermes (1930), third Hermes (1956), Media (1936), Isthmia (1929), Egnatia (1960), Corinthia (1956), Mediterranean (1908), Hellas (1935), Mykonos (1944), Atlantica (1931), Herakleion (1949), Kentauros (1941), Esperos (1939), Marilena (1911) and many other post-1950 vessels for longer routes or ocean liners for the USA and Australia.

I am sure that Roi Baudoin, I and others can scan some of these, as long as we do not violate international copyright

Προεπιλογή

From the book CRUISING SHIPS by W. H. Mitchell and L. A. Sawyer Editions Macdonald, another photo

ΕΡΜΗΣ.jpg

Προεπιλογή

Wonderful picture

N

Περιοχή
    Ραφήνα

Προεπιλογή Books

In Greece, it's not very common to find all these books.
    I have bought many of these books from a Booshop in Piraeus.
    One of these is the famous "Mediterranean Shipping" of Laurence Dunn.

I believe that it's important to scan some photos of these books and maybe somebody can buy then a book that is special interested in.
    Nowdays, it's easier to find them in INTERNET.

Another important source of photos is, of course, O.L.P.

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Roi Baudoin Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    In Greece, it's not very common to find all these books.
    I have bought many of these books from a Booshop in Piraeus.
    One of these is the famous "Mediterranean Shipping" of Laurence Dunn.

I believe that it's important to scan some photos of these books and maybe somebody can buy then a book that is special interested in.
    Nowdays, it's easier to find them in INTERNET.

Another important source of photos is, of course, O.L.P.

Believe me, it is equally difficult to find them in many "smaller" US cities. But some of them, Baltimore, Boston, San Francisco, have wonderful maritime books. Also I have found many in Melbourne, Amsterdam, Barcelona and (of all places) in Kahului (Maui), Hawaii!

I have a library of about 300 such books from throughout the world. I will share special photographs of some of them with you. I am now scanning some wonderful pictures of a 1904 Hamburg-Amerika Linie book on Mediterranean Cruises (yes, 105 years ago!) to Greece, Asia Minor, Constantinople, Italy, and Dalmatia. Four different German ships. I wonder where I should post them...

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία
  • [VIDEO] code is σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας HTML είναι εκτός λειτουργίας