Σελίδα 2 από 7 ΠρώτηΠρώτη 1234 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 11 έως 20 από 64

Θέμα: Ελληνικά ναυτιλιακά βιβλία [Greek maritime books]

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή Greek Ferries

Greek ferries by John May is an excellent overview of the contemporary Greek ferry system from a very knowledgeable non Greek author. It contains some beautiful photographs and was published in 1999. For the price of just under £10.00 sterling this was a veritable treasure and is crammed with useful information mostly obtained first hand plus an excellent fleet listing at the back.
    Although this section is really for Greek passenger liners I thought this book merited a mention as it is unique and captures the atmosphere of the Greek ferry system at its peak in the 1990's when they still had many interesting survivors from northern waters.
    Apart from the picture books of Katerina and Stanley Sturmey I have never seen such a good publication exclusively dedictaed to Greek Ferries.
    All the best Henry.

scan0210.jpg

scan0211.jpg

scan0212.jpg

scan0213.jpg

scan0214.jpg

Προεπιλογή

Henry! You bit me by a few hours. I had it ready to upload it this evening! This is an impressive book, extremely helpful and highly informative!

My next one is the Chandris Line book!

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Henry Casciaro Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Greek ferries by John May is an excellent overview of the contemporary Greek ferry system from a very knowledgeable non Greek author. It contains some beautiful photographs and was published in 1999.
    Henry

I am surprised that you upload so many pages like this. I am a bit worried about copyrights, so I like to take photographs from a distance to show just the lay-out without showing a lot of the text. Best N

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή Greek Ferries

Nicholas, thanks for reminding me I sometimes forget about these things although I suppose for our purposes and since we are only reviewing them and not using them for any profit making purpose I don't think we need fear?? .......sorry but must leave you as am about to watch Zorba the Greek (for the umpteenth time, but I can't resist it when they show it on TV!) Will rejoin you later if its not too late.
    Cheers Henry.

Προεπιλογή

G.6. Peter Plowman, The Chandris Liners and Celebrity Cruises, Rosenberg, Dual Delivery Centre, NSW, 2006.

A truly wonderful book, a great praise to the pioneer shipping family of Chandris, this book presents their story, from the 1911 sailing ship Dimitrios to these days..

In 244 pages, the author narrates the history of Chandris Line in a most fascinating way.. It is like reading a novel, a history and a technical book at the same time! Amazing. The photographs are of the highest quality, many of them multicolor. I enjoyed particularly the narration of passengers, captains and others. The memories of Graham and Nola Tucker who went from Sydney, Australia to Southampton, England with the Australis (and their three young children I must say) are so vivid that you travel with them (pages 85-88). The narration of Captain C. Condoyannis of the Queen Frederika are priceless. And one admires the thoughtfulness and great insight of Dimitri Kaparis, the right hand of the Chandris family that would fly anywhere in the world to inspect a ship and proclaim "Buy!" And Kaparis did extremely well.

This book is highly recommended!

Here is the cover page with Australis. And we could not feature this book without a 2-page lay- out of Ellinis!!!
    Chandris1.jpg

Chandris2.jpg

On the Web you will find a good part of this book in http://books.google.com/books?id=F8d...esult&resnum=4
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Ellinis : 19-02-2017 στις 18:18 Αιτία: 2 -> 1

Προεπιλογή G.7. Poffley: Greek Island Hopping

G.7. Frewin Poffley, Greek Island Hopping 1996, Passport Books, Lincolnwood, IL, 1996

A great book of 540 pages, this is an exceptional compendium of ships, ferries, little boats and anything else that can carry passengers across a body of water. It has maps, diagrams, comments an dinformation about all ships in Greece in 1995-96. I love it! I mean, it has everything. Liek shich little ship goes from Chios to Oinoussai, Leukimmi to Igoumenitsa, Sami to Kalamos and ... you name it. Look at teh 2-page lay-out below!

Greek Island.jpg

Grek Island2.jpg

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή More Greek Shipping Books

Nicholas thanks for posting another two of my favourite books. The Peter Plowman publication is superb and I have several copies of the Frewin Poffley Island Hopping guides from the 90's which again were an invaluable guide to all the ferry services in and around Greece including the very smallest vessels, which made them extremely interesting to read.

I am adding another two of my favourites, the well known Chandris Liners by Bill Miller which although not as enjoyable to read as its later rival is still a very good reference book and the second is a one off publication which was given to me as a gift from a friend in Piraeus. You might be familiar with it already and although it has lots of typographical and photographic errors it contains some beautifully reproduced postcrads of our favourite Greek ships. All the best Henry

scan0215.jpg

scan0216.jpg

scan0217.jpg

scan0218.jpg

scan0219.jpg

Προεπιλογή G.8. Anonymous: Greek Passenger Shipping

G.8. A. Tzamtzis, Greek Passenger Shipping: The Chronicle 1921-2001, Miletos, Athens, 2001

This is a book discussed already by Henry Casciaro. Here is the Greek version. A very nice book with lots of information and good pictures. I must admit though, the book is characterized by paucity! Everything is done in short measure.

First, here is the cover of the Greek edition!
    EEN1.jpg

Then,a two-page spread about Hellas See also http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=61454
    EEN2.jpg

A poster of the Hellenic Coast Line of the 1930s. Look at all these ships!
    EEN3.jpg

The famous Tassos of Potamianos See also http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=23166
    EEN4.jpg

Names of subsidized routes (left), names of shipping companies (right) and a postcard of Elena M of the Manouelides Line
    EEN5.jpg
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 28-04-2009 στις 01:54

Προεπιλογή

G.9. Gelina Harlaftis, A History of Greek-Owned Shipping: The Making of an International Tramp Fleet, Rutledge, London, 1998.

Although a book referring to merchant ships, freighters, tankers and related vessels, this is an exceptional book that should be bought by all Greeks. It has an extensive literature and information about all the Greek shipping companies.

Here is the cover. And since I know you will ask me, the ship shown was the Dimitrios Schilizzis (as spelled in Italian) in 1897.

History.jpg

And then, you see a page about the Valianos (Vagliano) family that will give you an idea about the ship's coverage.

Vagliano2.jpg
    Vagliano3.jpg
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 28-04-2009 στις 22:50

Περιοχή
    Κεφαλλονιά

Προεπιλογή

Συμφωνώ Νικόλα, ένα βιβλίο που αξίζει πραγματικά να το έχει ο καθένας στη βιβλιοθήκη του. Για ενημέρωση, το βρήκα στο Amazon για 100 €

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Appia_1978 Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Συμφωνώ Νικόλα, ένα βιβλίο που αξίζει πραγματικά να το έχει ο καθένας στη βιβλιοθήκη του. Για ενημέρωση, το βρήκα στο Amazon για 100 ¤
    100 ¤? Rather high. By the way, our readers who wish to familiarize with it may read some chapters in http://books.google.com/books?id=xLc...esult&resnum=2

Σελίδα 2 από 7 ΠρώτηΠρώτη 1234 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία
  • [VIDEO] code is σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας HTML είναι εκτός λειτουργίας