Σελίδα 1 από 4 123 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 1 έως 10 από 38

Θέμα: Σούνιον [Royal Ulsterman, Sounion]

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή Σούνιον [Royal Ulsterman, Sounion]

This interesting vessel which is little documented I hope is of interest for this new thread.

She was owned by Burns Laird and made the crossing between Glasgow and Belfast before being sold to Mediterranean Link Lines of Cyprus (not to be confused with the later Med Link Lines) for service in the Eastern Med.

She arrived at Piraeus on 1st May 1970 and started a fortnightly service between Marseille and Haifa, calling at Naples and Famagusta (eastwards) and Limassol, Piraeus and Genoa (westwards).

She was similar in appearance to Med Sun Lines Aphrodite and also came from the same pedigree of ex British ferries. Her funnel logo is interesting but not very clear and I have no other pictures of her.

She sank in 1973 at Beirut and was later broken up I believe so her service was short lived and as far as I am aware she did'nt do any cruises.
    If anyone has any info, photos, brochures or pictures of her or her owning company I would be very interested!

There is some info and postcards of her as Royal Ulsterman in the Simplon website but I have found nothing on her during her Greek ownership.

Thanks and best regards, Henry. scan0049.jpg

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

Henry, thanks for reminding us of this short lived but beautiful ship.
    She had a lot of similarities with Epirotiki’s Orpheus, Apollo 11 and with Elmes’ Poseidonia.
    Unfortunately, she was sabotaged while at Beirut harbour. Here is an article that appeared back then in the Greek newspapers. According to this, at that time she was employed in 7-day cruises starting from Ammohostos (Famagusta) and calling at Mersina in Turkey, Beirut and Haifa.
    I don't want to mix politics, but just think of the ports she called: Ammohostos is still today a ghost-city, Beirut and Haifa are "prohibited" for western cruise ships...

All her passengers were from the US, so the bombing was atrributed to Palestinians.
    Sadly, she was never repaired but laid up only to be scrapped at Perama sometime later.

sounion2.jpg
    Πηγή: Λεύκωμα Ναυτιλίας

Προεπιλογή

Dear Henry
    I think that the first service of SOUNION in Greece was in the route Piraeus - Brindisi because I was her passenger in the summer of 1970 in one of her trips from Piraeus to Brindisi.

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

Some more photos of Sounion half-sunk at Beirut and refloated

sou2.jpg

sou1.jpg
    Πηγή: Λεύκωμα Ναυτιλίας

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή SOUNION

Aris, thanks for sharing these great photos. I found a good one of her in the website Navi e Armatori. I will try and upload it.
    Best, Henry.

Προεπιλογή

I agree with Esperos. I remember her in 1970 docked at Corfu in front of our ship, the Istra.

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή Sounion

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Henry Casciaro Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Aris, thanks for sharing these great photos. I found a good one of her in the website Navi e Armatori. I will try and upload it.
    Best, Henry.
    Here is the photo. I believe it was taken outside Genoa harbour. Henry normal_Sounion.jpg

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Henry Casciaro Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Here is the photo. I believe it was taken outside Genoa harbour. Henry normal_Sounion.jpg
    Two of my pictures

Royal ulsterman 3.jpgRoyal Ulsterman.jpg

Numerous nice postcards in simplon http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/HandWStan...ml#anchor77412

Περιοχή
    Athens , Tinos

Προεπιλογή Sounion

A beautiful Postcard from Shipnostalgia Here

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή Sounion

Rocinante well spotted, great postcard indeed. This collector seems to have a fabulous collection of old Greek passenger ship cards from what he has posted in Shipsnostalgia up to now.

All the best, Henry.

Σελίδα 1 από 4 123 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία
  • [VIDEO] code is σε λειτουργία