I am starting a new subject on Neo Faliro, especially with historic photos... This sections is dedicated especially to my friend Trakman who is fascinated but all the old photos and maps!

First, here is a detailed map of the area from the 1908 Baedeker Guide for Travelers of Greece (Leipzig, 1908 )... There is not much between Athens and Piraeus!

Faleron map 1909.JPG

And now here are two gems from one of the earliest Greek guides, the Eleutheroudakis Guide of Athens and Attica of 1926. Here is the Aktaion from around 1920...

Athens Eleutheroudakis.jpgFaleron.jpg

And then I would like to add something here that willsjow how much the region has changed.... In the early 1920s, Leoforos Singrou was there but it was not paved and not much used. The map above, shows it bit presents a deserted area except for Sotir, what we called in the 1960s Aghios Sostis (I hope you still call it that way).... Well, here is Aghios Sostis and Singrou in the early 1920s.

Syngrou.jpg

two very old postcards of Neo Faliro. the show the favorite summer excursion place of the Athenians in all its glory with its pier in full detail.

At the end of the pier theer was the theater of Faliro that was used for any type of perfomance, from theater to band performances and vaudeville to opera... Indeed, it is well known that the famous soprano Marcela Sembrich (1858-1935) made her debut in this theater as Elvira in Bellini's I Puritani on June 3, 1877 See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcella_Sembrich

Neon Faliron 1899.jpgNeon Faliron.jpg