Σελίδα 1 από 3 123 ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 1 έως 10 από 26

Θέμα: Ιστορικές φωτο λιμανιών μεταξύ Ακαρνανίας - Λευκάδας [Ρorts between Akarnania-Leukas]

Προεπιλογή Ιστορικές φωτο λιμανιών μεταξύ Ακαρνανίας - Λευκάδας [Ρorts between Akarnania-Leukas]

There are some wonderful small islands and natural harbors in the area between Ithaca, Leukada and Aetoloakarnania. Back in the old days when teh roads were not good, ports like Astakos, Mytikas and Zaverda (now Palairos) were standard calls for our smaller, reliable boats that were going all the way to the Amvrakikos Gulf (see also http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=53340).

Here is a photograph of Zaverda (now Palairos) around 1995. This region had to be served by ships for a long time as the Akarnanika mountains and the smaller Serekas were a natural barrier with Aetolia... A natural connection by road was to Vonitsa, while the southern road to Astakos was much more difficult to pass.
    Zaverda (Palairos).jpg
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 07-03-2009 στις 19:30 Αιτία: Correction of spelling

Προεπιλογή

Meganisi has become one of the popular stops of Ionian sailing. I have many italian and Swiss friends that will take their boats from Trieste or Ancon and come down all the way to Methoni for 15-20 days of relaxation (hm, hm, I consider this work, not relaxation). Anyhow, Meganisi, Kalamos and Kastos are some of their favorite islands.

Meganisi was kind of forgotten until 1970. In 1930 it has 1,544 inhabitants and was called by the official name Taphos (Eleutheroudakis Encyclopedia, Athens 1930), in honor of the Taphians who lived in the island in the ancient times... I do not think the name was euphonic (for non-Greek speaking people taphos=grave). By 1960, it had 2,800 people in Vathy and Spartohori. It has become a truly beautiful island! In 1960 it was listed as having a passenger connection once a week "...opou proseggizei atmoploio ka0e ebdomada" (Tourist Guide for Greece, 1962)

Here are two photographs from the late 1990s, the first of Vathy (N to NE), the second of Spartohori (N to NW)

Meganisi.jpg

The islands in the back in the second picture are Skorpios, behind it Madouri on the left (Aristotelis Valaoritis' island) and Sparti on the right, and then behind all Lefkada.

Meganisi Spartahori.jpg

Προεπιλογή Kalamos

Kalamos is another wonderful small island. In 1930 it was one municipality (koinotita) of the old Demos Karnion of the Ithaca County (eparhia I0akis). In the 1928 census it had 928 inhabitants with an additional 91 in Kefali. Most of them were decendants of people who fled from Akarnania across from Mytikas and also the Zaverda Gulf during the last few years of the Greek revolution (around 1827 and 1828). In fact, from Mytikas to Episkopi on the northern side of the island it is only 1.5 miles.

It is difficult to find any bigger ships stopping in Kalamos in the 1920s and 1930s (and never in Kastos). Typically (as you see below from Petros' schedule on July 29, 1929, the stop would be in Mytikas, the idea being that interested passengers would take a small boat to Kalamos from Mytikas. in the 1962 Tourist Guide for Greece, Kalamos does not even appear!

Of course now things are different and this is a wonderful island!

Mytikas 072929.jpg
    Kalamos.jpg

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Nicholas Peppas Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    It is difficult to find any bigger ships stopping in Kalamos in the 1920s and 1930s (and never in Kastos). Typically (as you see below from Petros' schedule on July 29, 1929, the stop would be in Mytikas, the idea being that interested passengers would take a small boat to Kalamos from Mytikas.
    The Petros mentioned above was an 1892 ship that came to Greece in 1926. She was a German ship bulit in Kiel, Germany, by Howaldts Werke and launched in February 1892 with the name Hungaria. Here is her picture as she enters Fiume in 1904. Another drawing of the Hungaria in Fiume is shown in http://www.tankonyvtar.hu/main.php?objectID=6063602

Hungaria 1904.jpg

She belonged to Ungaro-Croata Lloyd and based in Fiume (today's Rijeka in Croatia). Ungaro-croata was a medium size company with 47 vessels in March 1914 and a total tonnage of 22,666 tons (Milan Vego, Austrohungarian Naval Policy 1904-14). Hungaria was a single-screw boat of 54.6 m length and 7.6 m breadth. She had a service speed of 12.5 knots. had The ship was known to the Greek seas at that time as she was calling at Bar weekly and was one of the ships bringing Austrians down to Montenegro during the preparations for the Balkan Wars.

In 1910 she was transferred to Veneziana and named the Veneto. In 1913 she was transferred to the Dalmatian-Italian company Ragusea (out of Dubrovnik) and named Zaton (NB: For those not familiar with teh region, Zaton is a bay just outside of Dubrovnik). In this capacity she served the route of Ragusa (Dubrovnik) to Spalato (today's Split), Zara (today's Zadar), Fiume and Capodistria (today's Koper in Slovenia) as well as numerous small islands in then Kingdom of Servia. In 1916 she was requisitioned by the Montenegrins to carry troops from Bocche di Cattaro (today's Kotor) to Albania.

She was first transferred to Greece in 1926, having been purchased by C.N. Muhas Lines. She was named Ionio. One year later she joined the G. Potamianos Line and was finally named Petros. As such, she concentrated on Ionian travel. She is listed as having been scuttled at Porto Heli on April 25, 1941. Checking carefully the date, I can only guess she was the victim of a German bombardment and I am waiting for Ellinis to verify.

Here are some other photos (and deck plans!!!) of this wonderful ship as taken from the Hungarian site http://www.hajoregiszter.hu/?l=sdetails&lang=hun&i=1072

Who said that the Greek passenger ships of the 1930s did not have history and they were only "0alassopniktes"?

Hungaria2.jpg
    In the picture above, the Hungaria in the port of Fiume with Pannonia in the back

Hungaria plans.jpeg

More about Petros mentioned above. She was a 1892 ship that came to Greece in 1926. She was launched in February 1892 with the name Hungaria. In 1927 Hungaria joined the G. Potamianos Line and was finally named Petros. Here is Hungaria (front) in Fiume with Pannonia in the back
    Hungaria1.jpg

This site has the whole history of Hungaria and Pannonia, albeit in Hungarian! http://www.uskok.eoldal.hu/cikkek/ci...vek_-hajonevek

Pannonia is well known to the Greeks! She is none else that Lakoniki Lines' Leon of the 1930s! Built in the UK in 1896, she was 779 tons and hhad a length of 67.1 m and breadth of 8.9 m. She was built on behalf of Ungaro-Croata Lloyd and became Sarajevo in 1923 and Eneo in 1926. She came to Greece in 1930 as one of three ships of Lakoniki Lines. She was sunk outside of Alonissos and Kyra Panagia on April 18, 1941

Hungarian (Petros) is shown here

Hungarian5.jpeg
    Hungarian4.jpg

And here is a typical schedule of Petros from July 20, 1929 along with other passenger ships
    July 20 1929.jpg

Προεπιλογή Kastos

And here is the smallest of the inhabited islands of the region, Kastos. Just 8 sq km in area, it became part of Greece in 1864 along with all other Ionian islands. It has one small village with 301 inhabitants in 1928 and steadily increasing since then

Here is a picture of its harbor

Kastos1.jpg

Προεπιλογή

The first Akarnanian port of the famous Western Greece subsidized line was always Astakos, a pretty little natural port in the area. Here is a still from a late 1990s video.

Astakos.jpg

One more photograph of the port of the island of Kastos
    Kastos.jpg

Προεπιλογή

Here is a passenger ship schedule for this area in 1887, just 122 years ago!
    Menidi is a small village between Vonitsa and Amfilohia. Salaora is now a lagoon and bay NE of Preveza. http://www.visomap.com/place-fr/Ormos+Salaora/9135655
    Alexandros was a small village in north central Lefkada. I assume the port served was today's Nikiana (see http://www.travel-to-lefkada.com/place.php?place_id=7)

Amvr 1887.jpg

Προεπιλογή Meganisis and the Papanikolis cave

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Nicholas Peppas Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Meganisi has become one of the popular stops of Ionian sailing. Meganisi was kind of forgotten until 1970.
    Here is a nice photograph of the Papanikolis cave in Meganisi in 1993. here is where the Greek submarine Papanikolis (Captain Milton Iatrides) was hiding when necessary during World War II. Having been in Greece 38 more years than me. I assume you know the story very well and have perhaps visited the cave... If not, here is a comprehensive site http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-LJXEh...--?cq=1&p=1203

Meganisi.jpg

Προεπιλογή More Astakos photos

Some other photos from Astakos.I am from this place and I assure you,that after summer I will bring you more including the big port of Platygiali

11693447.jpg

ag gerasimos.jpg

12467315.jpg

3550561.jpg

Προεπιλογή Astakos

Priceless!!! Especially the one with Aghios Gerasimos! We thank you and WELCOME ABOARD our ship!

Σελίδα 1 από 3 123 ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία
  • [VIDEO] code is σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας HTML είναι εκτός λειτουργίας