Σελίδα 1 από 9 123 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 1 έως 10 από 89

Θέμα: Efthymiadis Lines (Κ. Ευθυμιάδης)

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή Efthymiadis Lines (Κ. Ευθυμιάδης)

Dear friends,

I thought it would be worthwhile opening a new thread for this well known and interesting Greek company, even though some of its vessels have their own threads under Historic cruise ships. It is certainly one of my favourite Greek companies.

This was a major ferry and later cruise operator of the 60's and 70's and apart from having a very interesting fleet of former French liners which mainly operated as ferries, they also pioneered the large tanker converted ferries and later the mass market cruising boom out of the UK when they chartered three of their ships to Clarksons for several years. It was a pity that a combination of the fuel crisis of the early 70's and the disastrous accident of the ill fated Heleanna put an abrupt end to their operatons.

Indeed they had similarities with their earlier Typaldos rivals in that they grew very quickly and became one of the largest Greek ferry and cruise operators of that time and unfortunately came to a sudden and sad end.

I will start by posting some of their earlier brochures from 1967/68 and 1970 which are mainly of their ferry services and will later post some of their cruising brochures.

Their conversions of Melina, Delos and Delphi were an exemplary transition of passenger/cargo to cruise ship conversion which would later be imitated by other Greek companies.
    Hope you enjoy this fascinating and handsome fleet of vessels.
    Henry. scan0056.jpg

scan0057.jpg

scan0058.jpg

scan0059.jpg

scan0060.jpg

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Smile Efthymiadis Lines

One aditional scan of their ferry schedules for 1970.
    scan0061.jpg

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

Thanks a lot Henry, I have never seen before an Efthymiades' brochure.

I also did knew that Aeolis used to call at Dikeli in Asia Minor! Anyone knows how long did this lasted?

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή Efthymiadis brochures

Here are two postcards of Melina and Delos plus a brochure of the cruises undertaken by Melina during 1973 when she was not chartered to Clarksons (only Delphi and Delos remained with them)

Best regards
    Henry.
    scan0068.jpg

scan0069.jpg

scan0064.jpg

scan0065.jpg

Thumbs up

thanks a lot Henry!!!!!!!

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή Clarksons brochures

I attach the Clarksons brochures as promised. For a budget company they produced very good brochures and were the leaders in starting the mass market fly cruises to the Greek Islands in conjunction with Efthymiadis.
    They used to charge an incredibly cheap price for a 7 day cruise in the Med including flghts from the UK and transfers. Pity that their company went bust due to very quick growth and high costs made worse by the fuel crisis of the early 70's (they also owned an airline Court Line which also disappeared).

Other big UK tour operators like Thomson and Cosmos would copy them and operate similar programmes (chartering the Ithaca and Calypso from Ulysses Line and Hellenic Mediterranean Lines Apollonia, Cynthia and Isthmia respectively).

Henry.
    scan0062.jpg

scan0063.jpg

scan0066.jpg

scan0067.jpg

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

In the first brochure -of 1971- the artist's impression of Melina is really smart.
    So from what I understand, in 1971-72 all three (MELINA, DELOS and DELPHI) worked for Clarksons.
    In 1973 DELOS and DELPHI continued will MELINA cruised for Efthy Cruises.
    In 1974 the same occured? I guess that was the last season for Clarksons?

Henry, you mentioned chartering of ISTHMIA and CYNTHIA by other operators. Do you have any details or brochures? I really fancy the likes of those two old ships.

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή Clarksons

Aris,

Thanks for reply. Yes as you say 1974 was their last season as the company and its airline went bankrupt leaving many hundreds of clients stranded abroad.........

The HML ships were regularly chartered by Cosmos (which continues to operate Greek Island cruise packages to this day!) and they had a particularly good programme in 1971 when they offered an extensive range of Med cruises with the major Greek operators. They used:

Chandris Lines: Queen Frederica
    Potamianos/Ionian: Achilleus
    HML: Apollonia, Cynthia and Isthmia
    Flotta Lauro's Roma

This is a fantastic brochure (and one of my best pieces) which I had originally obtained and which later was destroyed and I lost, but years afterwards I was able to buy a copy from a collector in the UK in very good condition.

I will scan it for you later today or this evening as its very big and it will take me some time. The photos are also quite large so will have to resize them.

Cheers Henry.

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή Clarksons 1971 brochure

[quote=Ellinis;179193]In the first brochure -of 1971- the artist's impression of Melina is really smart.

Aris, Sorry I forgot to mention in my reply that the 1971 brochure cover denotes an artist's impression of the Delphi conversion (not the Melina) and yes I agree it is very smart. Unfortunately the real vessel turned out very different!
    However I still think its a very good looking ship and again one of my favourite Greek cruise ships of the 70's and 80's with an incredible pedigree and history.

Henry.

Περιοχή
    East Med

Προεπιλογή

Handsome vessels! Thanks Henry. The Clarksons brochures were indeed ahead of their time. Impressive artwork and style. I am new to the Efthymiadis Lines, but from your scanned brochures, it seems that all the company's vessels had extensive and expensive refits. So, how many tankers did the company converted to cruise ferries?
    [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][I][U][URL="http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6466/elliios1972sig.jpg"]Κυκλαδίτικο Ξαραθύμιο[/URL][/U][/I][/COLOR][/B]

Σελίδα 1 από 9 123 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία
  • [VIDEO] code is σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας HTML είναι εκτός λειτουργίας