Σελίδα 1 από 11 123 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 1 έως 10 από 108

Θέμα: Γλάρος [Glaros, Beryl, Lorna, Thessalia]

Προεπιλογή Γλάρος [Glaros, Beryl, Lorna, Thessalia]

Μία φωτογραφία του Γλάρου.
    Αξίζει να παρατηρήσουμε τον πάρα πολύ κόσμο που έχει!!
    Αφιερωμένη σε όλους τους φίλους του Ναυτιλία!!

Συνημμένο Αρχείο 16565
    (κομμένη απο τεύχος του Εφοπλιστή πρίν απο πολλά χρόνια)

Περιοχή
    Ακτή Μερόπης

Προεπιλογή

Χωρις Λόγια!!!!!!!
    Στην πλώρη τους πάντα ο Αι Νικόλας

Περιοχή
    Agrinion-Nafpaktos

Προεπιλογή "ΓΛΑΡΟΣ"

Συγχαρητήρια vinman για τη φωτογραφία του "Γλάρου"!!!

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

Yπέροχη φωτογραφία, με τη θάλασσα να ξεπερνάει το ύψος των φιλιστρινιών στην ίσαλο. Τι θέα θα είχε από εκεί .....

Περιοχή
    athens, vrilissia

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από vinman Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Μία φωτογραφία του Γλάρου.
    Αξίζει να παρατηρήσουμε τον πάρα πολύ κόσμο που έχει!!
    Αφιερωμένη σε όλους τους φίλους του Ναυτιλία!!

Συνημμένο Αρχείο 16565

(κομμένη απο τεύχος του Εφοπλιστή πρίν απο πολλά χρόνια)
    Υποθέτω ότι ο Γλάρος, έτσι όπως είναι φορτωμένος, θα πήγαινε έως Αργοσαρωνικό. Μη μου πείτε ότι έκανε πιο μακρινό ταξίδι!:x

Προεπιλογή Γλάρος [Glaros, Beryl, Lorna, Thessalia]

Glaros: Part 1

Glaros
    was built by Scotts shipyard in Greenock in 1904. She was completed in October 1904 for Lord Inverclyde of Castle Wemyss. She was a great looking yacht and her name was Beryl. She was renamed Lorna in 1913 (not 1911 as mentioned in Miramar).

She had 427 tons, length of 51.4 m, width of 7.7 m and her service speed was 13 knots.

In Two Centuries of Shipbuilding by the Scotts at Greenock, we find a detailed presentation of the ship's character.
    From the same source, two wonderful pictures of her dining and drawing rooms that did not survive the 1947 conversion to a passenger ship.
    Beryl:Glaros Dining Room.jpgBeryl:Glaros Drawing Room.jpg
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 23-03-2009 στις 01:42

Περιοχή
    East Med

Προεπιλογή

Στο εξαιρετικό νήμα «Πλοία που προσέγγισαν στη Σίφνο», ο Roi έχει δημοσιεύσει θεσπέσιες φωτογραφίες του ΓΛΑΡΟΣ από τη συλλογή του κ. Φουστάνου.
    [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][I][U][URL="http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6466/elliios1972sig.jpg"]Κυκλαδίτικο Ξαραθύμιο[/URL][/U][/I][/COLOR][/B]

Προεπιλογή

Glaros: Part 2
    Glaros was built by Scotts shipyard in Greenock in 1904. She was completed in October 1904 for Lord Inverclyde of Castle Wemyss. She was a great looking yacht and her name was Beryl. She was renamed Lorna in 1913 (not 1911 as previously mentioned).
    Beryl was designed and built by Scott's of Greenock for Lord Inverclyde of Castle Wemyss in 1904. "Beryl was a magnificent screw schooner which boasted a promenade deck of 92 feet amongst her appointments. Registered at 427 tons gross (207 1/2 net and 484 Thames), she measured 168 1/2 feet in length with a 25 foot beam and was engined by her builders."

Beryl was not the only yacht built at Scotts in those days... Here is a complete list of Scotts yachts in those days. They included Greta of 1898 that became later the Potamianos Elvira (see http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=57224) and the 565 ton Tuscarora (see photograph below), another great yacht, that instead of being converted into a passenger ship when she was transferred to Greek hands in 1946, she was converted to a cargo ship, Anatoli, and then in 1952 to Evgenia. She is, however, a great example of the similarity of Scots yachts...

Beryl table.jpg

Tuscarora.jpg

The only Beryl painting we could find is by the Neapolitan painter Luca Papaluca (1890-1934) who specialized in maritime life. It depicts Beryl at the gulf of Naples.

Beryl2.jpg

In 1913, Lord Inverclyde sold Beryl to Lord Hollenden in 1913, who renamed her Lorna. She was hired for wartime service in September 1914 and spent the War in the Auxiliary Patrol. Released by the Admiralty in December 1919, she was then sold to Sir Walter Preston, M.P. (parliament member http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_...(UK_politician)), who was able to loan her to the Government again in September 1939 when World War II began. Mounting a single 12 pdr gun, she served initially as an Armed Boarding Vessel but went unrecorded after May 1941.

After World War II, Lorna was decommissioned and bought by Kavounides, who converted her to a passenger ship and named her Thessalia in 1947. In 1960 she became Glaros.

A wonderful oil painting by Constantinos Zografos from the Greek Museum of History of Shipping and the Coast Guard is shown below.

Glaros.jpg

Well, it seems to me that the good painter copied the photo!
    Glaros1.jpgGlaros2.jpg

Glaros suffered a collision at Piraeus on December 14, 1966 and was scrapped in Perama in 1968

Along with Kyknos and Pindos, one of my favorite Greek ships!

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Nicholas Peppas Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    The only Beryl painting we could find is by the Neapolitan painter Luca Papaluca (1890-1934) who specialized in maritime life. It depicts Beryl at the gulf of Naples.

Beryl2.jpg
    Νίκο, όπως θα πρόσεξες το πλοίο στον πίνακα δεν μοιάζει με το ΓΛΑΡΟΣ. πχ δεν έχει τη χαρακτηριστική πλώρη clipper που είχε το ΓΛΑΡΟΣ.
    Ίσως να ήταν το BERYL του 1913, κάτι που επίσης είναι ενδιαφέρων μιας και πέρασε και αυτό απο την ακτοπλοϊα τα πρώτα μεταπολεμικά χρόνια ως ΙΤΕΑ. Βέβαια στο miramar έχει και ένα σωρό άλλα BERYL, όπως αυτό του 1906.

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Nicholas Peppas Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Glaros suffered a collision at Piraeus on December 14, 1966 and was scrapped in Perama in 1968
    O ΓΛΑΡΟΣ ήταν από καιρό παροπλισμένος στα Αμπελάκια όταν το χτύπησε ένα άλλο παροπλισμένο προκαλώντας διαροή. Το κουφάρι του ανελκύστηκε το 1968 για να διαλυθεί.

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Ellinis Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Νίκο, όπως θα πρόσεξες το πλοίο στον πίνακα δεν μοιάζει με το ΓΛΑΡΟΣ. πχ δεν έχει τη χαρακτηριστική πλώρη clipper που είχε το ΓΛΑΡΟΣ.
    As I said in my private message to you, my research lasted quite a few days (and two hours yesterday). The fact that Glaros had a clipper prow does not worry me too much,a s there were major changes of Beryl over the years

Ίσως να ήταν το BERYL του 1913, κάτι που επίσης είναι ενδιαφέρων μιας και πέρασε και αυτό απο την ακτοπλοϊα τα πρώτα μεταπολεμικά χρόνια ως ΙΤΕΑ.
    This was taken in consideration in my research, but it turned out not to be relevant

Βέβαια στο miramar έχει και ένα σωρό άλλα BERYL, όπως αυτό του 1906.
    In all cases above, important information is available in Lord Invernclyde's life and writings, part of which I read. For me, the final decision in favor of this particular picture/painting came from a 2005 sale of the Papaluca painting at Christie's, where the Beryl in question is identified as the Lord Invernclyde Beryl! See http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...D=4607610&sid=

O ΓΛΑΡΟΣ ήταν από καιρό παροπλισμένος στα Αμπελάκια όταν το χτύπησε ένα άλλο παροπλισμένο προκαλώντας διαροή. Το κουφάρι του ανελκύστηκε το 1968 για να διαλυθεί.
    I did not know this... Thanks.

Σελίδα 1 από 11 123 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία
  • [VIDEO] code is σε λειτουργία