Σελίδα 1 από 4 123 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 1 έως 10 από 35

Θέμα: Σείριος [Sirios, Migrant, Audacieux, Migrante, Bancinu, Athinai, Βόριοι Σποράδες]

Προεπιλογή Σείριος [Sirios, Migrant, Audacieux, Migrante, Bancinu, Athinai, Βόριοι Σποράδες]

Ellinis and I want to start a new thread about Sirios (or Seirios) that many old timers remember from her travels to Vorioi Sporades.

Sirios was built as a (well known) yacht, became a cargo ship, then a passenger-cum-cargo ship in Malta (!) and finally our Sirios in Greece. We start with the traditional Miramar entry
    Report for "5330151"
    IDNo: 5330151 Year: 1927
    Name: MIGRANT Launch Date:
    Type: Yacht Date of completion: 11.27
    Flag: GBR Keel:
    Tons: 348 Link: 1596
    DWT: Yard No: 352
    Length overall: Ship Design:
    LPP: 39.0 Country of build: GBR
    Beam: 7.4 Builder: Clyde SB
    Material of build: Location of yard: Port Glasgow
    Number of
    screws/Mchy/
    Speed(kn): 2D-
    Owner as Completed:
    Naval or paramilitary marking :
    A: *
    End: 1988
    Subsequent History:

[1947 cv to cargo ship] - 31 VICTRIX J Sapene - 36 AUDACIEUX J. Sapene- 38 MIGRANTE F.G.T.Dawson- 39 MIGRANT - 47 BANCINU J.Gasan- 58 ATHINAI V.Vasilakis et al- 61 SIRIUS Kavounides Sg Co- 64 VORIOI SPORADES Saronikos
    Disposal Data:

deleted 1988
    So, she started as a small boat, a yacht belonging to K. Lee Guinness and named Migrant. Here is an oil painting by our Italian friend Luca Papaluca that was sold recently in an auction. It depicts Migrant

Migrant by Papaluca b.jpg

Migrant was built at the famous Clyde Shipbuilding Co. An older reference comments
    The British & Irish Steam Packet Co. Ltd of Dublin took Lady Gwendolen, and another important customer was Blue Star Line with Brodhurst . Standard ships were built during the Great War as well as four gunboats of 800 tons. In 1919 the yard was taken over by the John Slater Ltd group of London. In 1927 the John Slater Group crashed and one of the last ships built by the Clyde Shipbuilding Co. Ltd was the motor yacht Migrant for K. Lee Guinness, who had her engined with 12-cylinder M.A.N. oil engines. The Castle yard was eventually sold to James Lamont, a ship repairer in Greenock, who did not use the Castle yard for ship repairing until 1938. The yard was a ship repairer only during World War 11, but began shipbuilding again in 1946.
    In the 1930s she transferred to Jerome Sapene in France and changed names to Vitrix and then Audacieux. We do not have much idea what she did in the War, but in 1947 she was picked by Joseph Gasan, named Bancinu and used for a passenger/cargo route between La Valetta, Malta and the small island of Gozo! The following article first appeared in "The Times of Malta" Aug.7, 1997.

PIONEERS OF INTER-ISLAND TRANSPORT SEA TRAFFIC BETWEEN MALTA AND GOZO
    According to records which I have, between 1923 and 1937 the Malta Steamship Company operated two vessels, the Wembley which sank in 1935 and Golly which sank in 1937.

These were followed by the Gozo Mail Service Company which was a partnership between Joseph Gasan, Giovanni Dacoutros, the Grech family known as "Gelluxa" and some ten other Gozitans with minority shareholding.

This company operated under Joseph Gasan who also operated the Bancinu between 1950 and 1957 when it eventually ran aground and sank. During the same period Mr Gasan operated the Maid of Pinto, a wooden schooner which sank in 1951, and Pino which finished its service in 1957, the same year as the Bancinu.

Bernard Zammit operated two vessels, the King of England and Lady Strickland

In 1947 a new bandstand was inaugurated, the work of several enthusiasts from Ghajnsielem among them the late Guzeppi Cutajar and Angelo Gauci. Among the memorable events of the post-war period one notes the annual invitations which Capt. A. Zammit Cutajar extended to the Society on the occasions of the Feast of Comino and the inauguration of the ferry Bancinu to which the Band was invited by Mr. Joe Gasan, the owner of the ship.
    Her transfer to Greece in 1958 must have been associated with some changes because the Greek Papyros Larousse of 1963 lists her as 535 tons, albeit it with the extremely slow speed of 10 knots!

I will let Ellinis provide any pictures an information from her Greek years

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

To ΣΕΙΡΙΟΣ είναι ένα πραγματικό πλοίο-φάντασμα για εμένα. Πουθένα δεν υπάρχει αναφορά για αυτό, πουθενά και ως ΑΘΗΝΑΙ. Στα δρομολόγια του Καβουνίδη του 61-64 δεν αναφέρεται ποτέ. Και από φωτογραφίες καμία

Τελικά θα έλεγα οτι δεν υπήρχε ποτέ αν δεν είχα δει την παρακάτω αναγγελία για δρομολόγια του ως ΒΟΡ.ΣΠΟΡΑΔΕΣ.
    1965 7-7.gif

Και χάρι στην έρευνα του Νικόλα, βρήκα και μια φωτογραφία του όταν ναυάγησε το 1957 στη Μάλτα. Φαίνεται πως τα στοιχεία της φύσης το λυπήθηκαν και επέζησε για να μας έρθει στην Ελλάδα.

1957 … during one of the heaviest storms to hit our island occurred the shipwreck of the Ferry 'Bancinu' which broke off from its moorings and was wreked at Zewwieqa. The night-watchman trapped on the ship was drowned when caught below deck, an area which was totally flooded.

sirios as bancinu aground 1957.jpg
    Πηγή

Περιοχή
    athens, vrilissia

Thumbs up εύγε...

Αυτή η φωτογραφία που ξεθάψατε είναι πράγματι σπάνιο ντοκουμέντο. Ποιος "διάολος" φωτογράφος πήγε και σκαρφάλωσε εκεί και πήρε το πλοίο σε αυτή την θέση;
    Η αξία της φωτο είναι ακόμα μεγαλύτερη όσο δεν έχουμε προς το παρόν φωτογραφίες από τη θητεία του πλοίου στα ελληνικά νερά.
    Μπράβο στα λαγωνικά στου Naftilia!

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Ellinis Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    To ΣΕΙΡΙΟΣ είναι ένα πραγματικό πλοίο-φάντασμα για εμένα. Πουθένα δεν υπάρχει αναφορά για αυτό, πουθενά και ως ΑΘΗΝΑΙ. Στα δρομολόγια του Καβουνίδη του 61-64 δεν αναφέρεται ποτέ. Και από φωτογραφίες καμία

Τελικά θα έλεγα οτι δεν υπήρχε ποτέ αν δεν είχα δει την παρακάτω αναγγελία για δρομολόγια του ως ΒΟΡ.ΣΠΟΡΑΔΕΣ.

Και χάρι στην έρευνα του Νικόλα, βρήκα και μια φωτογραφία του όταν ναυάγησε το 1957 στη Μάλτα. Φαίνεται πως τα στοιχεία της φύσης το λυπήθηκαν και επέζησε για να μας έρθει στην Ελλάδα.
    Ari Thanks for this information. I believe that Sirios did come to Greece. I remember the name. I do not know why Kavounides was not mentioning it... Of course I am very affected by the reference of Papyros Larousse which I have had with me for 45 years... But I forgot to mention Papyros was including her as an auxiliary ship in 1963 (efedriko). I am now in Madrid for two days. I will add more things when I return N

Περιοχή
    athens, vrilissia

Cool στη λίστα

Μια πολύ μικρή συνεισφορά στην έρευνα του ¶ρη και του κ. Peppas. Το πλοίο «Σείριος» ήταν καταχωρημένο στη λίστα του πληρέστατου ναυτιλιακού οδηγού «Το ελληνικόν εμπορικόν πλοίον και ο κόσμος του» του 1968-1969, απόσπασμα από το οποίο παραθέτω. Δεν εντόπισα εκδότη του οδηγού (που έχει στην κυριολεξία τα πάντα!) , αλλά μπορεί να εκδιδόταν από την Ένωση Εφοπλιστών σε συνεργασία με το Υπουργείο Εμπορικής Ναυτιλίας… αυτό με πολύ μεγάλη επιφύλαξη... Αν κάποιος ξέρει κάτι παραπάνω….
    Κάτω από το νέο και παλαιό όνομα του πλοίου καταχωρούνται τα στοιχεία της πλοικτήτριας εταιρείας (Saronicos SA εν προκειμένω).

Θαυμάστε και την φωτογραφία του Jason (έχουμε thread για αυτό; ) , και δείτε και τις πληροφορίες που φαίνονται στη σελίδα αυτή για άλλα γνωστά πλοία της εποχής…. :-P

seirios_0001.jpg

Προεπιλογή

Thanks a lot! This is very helpful and agrees with what I found in Papyros Larousse in the early 1960s. By the way, this book that you used looks exceptionally good. Bravo! Nikos
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Ellinis : 28-09-2013 στις 15:35

Περιοχή
    athens, vrilissia

Thumbs up

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Nicholas Peppas Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Thanks a lot! This is very helpful and agrees with what I found in Papyros Larousse in the early 1960s. By the way, this book that you used looks exceptionally good. Bravo! Nikos
    Thanks, Nikos. The book is like an encyclopedia. It contains literally everything relating to shipping…Of course, the feedback is only current information (pertaining to 1968-1969). Yet, I suspect that we shall use it as a reference for many other queries…

Andreas

Προεπιλογή

Eκδοτης του <το ελληνικον εμπορικον πλοιον και ο κοσμος του> ειναι η <εκδοσεις Ι.Σ. Βασιλειαδης και σια Ο.Ε> Κολοκοτρωνη 95 πειραιευς

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από BEN BRUCE Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Eκδοτης του <το ελληνικον εμπορικον πλοιον και ο κοσμος του> ειναι η <εκδοσεις Ι.Σ. Βασιλειαδης και σια Ο.Ε> Κολοκοτρωνη 95 πειραιευς
    Μην το ψάχνετε όμως σήμερα γιατί δεν εκδίδεται πλέον. Ανήκει στην ιστορία!

Προεπιλογή

Φωτογραφία του Βόρειοι Σποράδες.
    Αφιερωμένη στους φίλους Νicholas Peppas , Ben Bruce, Ellinis, Esperos, καπετάν Αντρέας.

voreies sporades.jpg
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη T.S.S. APOLLON : 16-05-2009 στις 00:02

Σελίδα 1 από 4 123 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία