Σελίδα 5 από 12 ΠρώτηΠρώτη ... 34567 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 41 έως 50 από 112

Θέμα: Ξενόγλωσσα ναυτιλιακά βιβλία [Foreign maritime books]

Προεπιλογή No 28. Gibbs: Alaskan Maritime

No 28. Tim Gibbs, Alaskan Maritime, Schiffer Publishing Company, Atglen, PA, 1997

This is a book with a wealth of information about Alaskan Lines, the passenger ships, their trials and tribulations... Filed with about 250 pictures of mostly obscure passenger ships literally hanging from cliffs after bad storms, this is a must for true sailors! Paperback, 160 pages.

Al1.jpg

Al2.jpg

Al3.jpg

The last passenger ship on the right is the SS Portland that played a large role in the gold stampede to Alaska and the Yukon when she arrived in Seattle, Washington in 1897 with the famous "ton of gold", a story that was flashed around the world.
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 11-04-2009 στις 05:52

Προεπιλογή No 29. Mawbray Tate: Transpacific Steam

No 29. E. Mawbray Tate, Transpacific Steam: The Story of Steam Navigation from the Pacific Coast of North America to the East and the Antipodes, 1867-1941, Cornwall Books, Cranbury, NJ, 1986.

This is a very difficult to find, yet quite worth the wait book. It contains the stories of many transpacific steamships, from the Pacific Mail Ecuador (1916-24) that came from the Netherlands to do the San Francisco-Yokohama trade (page 39) to teh wonderful Matson steamers (Lurline, Malolo) some of which became so well known to Greece. An extremely well written book with many less known ship, depicted in black and white photographs.

Tran1.jpg

Below, three Japanese steamers for the NYK Line, the Shinyo Maru (1908-11), the unlucky Chiyo Maru (1909-16) broke and a total loss on rocks, and the Taiyo Maru (1911-42),a former German ship under the name Cap Finisterre given to Japan after World War I. She was the last Japanese ship to approach Pearl Harbor before December 7, 1941 and was carrying Otto Kühn, a German spy and transplanted Hawaiian. Almost a year later she sank in Nagasaki.

Tran2.jpg

Below you see Matson's Lurline and Malolo.

Tran3.jpg

Below, lesser known vessels, the Thomas, the Dix and the St. Mihiel

Tran4.jpg

Προεπιλογή No 30. Kludas: Record Breakers of the North Atlantic

No 30. Arnold Kludas, Record Breakers of the North Atlantic: Blue Riband Liners, 1838-1952, Brassey's Inc, Washington, DC, 2000.

This great book of Arnold Kludas comes to fill a major gap in the field. It was originally published in German in 1999 under the title Das blaue Band des Nordatlantiks. It is an account of the famous Blue Riband competition, the "fight" to be the fastest ship in the Southampton-New York route. British and German ocean liners fought for this "Riband" (which was actually a long ribbon that the record holder could hang) until the legendary Normandie and the Italian Rex "won" the Riband and before the US United States shuttered the record. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Riband

This book has the usual standards of Arnold Kludas and some truly exceptional pictures!

On the cover the German Deutschland which held the Riband from July 6, 1900 to September 16, 1902

Kl1.jpg

Inside, the White Star Teutonic that held the Riband from August 13, 1891 to July 27, 1892

Kl3.jpg

Then a fantastic and rare picture of the boat deck of the first fast German ocean liner, the Elbe, in 1881.

Kl4.jpg

Then, a picture from my own collection showing the dining room in first class (yes, this is in a ship!) of my all time best ever passenger ship, the legendary Normandie

Normandie.jpg

And finally, another typical 2-page layout of the book discussing the prominent position of the Cunard Line

Kl2.jpg

Προεπιλογή No 31. Cooke: Liners & Cruise Ships-3

No 31. Anthony Cooke, Liners & Cruise Ships-3: Further notable smaller vessels, Carmania Press, London, 2003.

Let me start by saying that the name Carmania Press means high quality. Their books are exceptionally well edited and illustrated. Here we have one of a series of paperbacks with lesser known (for some) ships. Here is the cover
    Lin1.jpg

And some typical pages like this one showing the interior of the Prima and the Sydney....

Lin2.jpg

.... and teh French Lyautey that became Efthymiades' Lindos

Lin3.jpg

Περιοχή
    cologne

Προεπιλογή

great books
    is in any books more pictures from the IRPINIA?
    in all of my books.........nothing

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από britanis Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    great books
    is in any books more pictures from the IRPINIA?
    in all of my books.........nothing
    I am sure! I will check! 200 books on maritime things here...

Προεπιλογή

The last 100 years , we have so many fantastic liner .........but many or forgotten
    she is one of this
    Please see what I posted on http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthr...652#post192652 about Irpinia

Περιοχή
    cologne

Προεπιλογή

this picture is perfekt for my modell for the skin

Περιοχή
    cologne

Προεπιλογή

thanks for your work and happy easter

Προεπιλογή

thanks for your work and happy easter
    Thanks. family is half Orthodox, half Protestant, so we celebrate two Easters, today and next Sunday!

Σελίδα 5 από 12 ΠρώτηΠρώτη ... 34567 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία
  • [VIDEO] code is σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας HTML είναι εκτός λειτουργίας