Σελίδα 1 από 12 12311 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 1 έως 10 από 112

Θέμα: Ξενόγλωσσα ναυτιλιακά βιβλία [Foreign maritime books]

Προεπιλογή Ξενόγλωσσα ναυτιλιακά βιβλία [Foreign maritime books]

PREFACE

I am starting here a new thread on reviews of books that discuss ocean liners and passenger ships. In this site, I will present reviews of books I have read and I plan to point out some of their desirable characteristics. I am doing this in order to help our readers who want to buy additional maritime books for their collection.

I intend to discuss only books that I have in my collection and have read (I will note them as N.1 etc) but I hope that other contributors will add their books. teh books will be presented in a random order

Προεπιλογή N.1. Eliseo & Piccione: Transatlantici

N. 1. Maurizio Eliseo and Paolo Piccione, "Transatlantici: The History of the Great Italian Liners on the Atlantic", Tormena editore, Genova, 2001

This is an exceptional book of 280 pages describing the Italian ocean liners that carried emigrants to the USA, Canada and South America. The details of the various ships are exceptional. Those who know only Rex, the Conte ships or Andrea Doria will be delighted to read about the early days of the Italian Liners

From the early days of the Lavarello Line, to the Navigazione Generale Italiana and from Cosulich to the legendary La Veloce (transl: "The fast one") I have found first rate photographs of ocean liners from the late 1800s and the early 1900s that I did not know they existed. One admired the very small tonnage of the late 1800s ships or the great interiors of the early 20th century ships. Italians really had (still have) great gusto.

You can find the book in English ($100) or Italian (55 euros)

Trans1.jpg

Trans2.jpg

Προεπιλογή N.2. Piccione: Genova, Città dei Transatlantici

N. 2. Paolo Piccione, "Genova, Città dei Transatlantici", Tormena editore, Genova, 2003

This is another great book of Paolo Piccione with 190 pages. It has glorious photographs from famous ocean liners in the port of Genova. Some of the pre-1920 photographs are simply incredible. Greek ships include Olympia on pages 160 and 161.

Here you see the cover and the general layout (using Vulcania as an example)

Genova.jpg

Genova2.jpg

genova3.jpg

Προεπιλογή N.3. Broder Hansen: Passenger Liners from Germany

N.3. Claus Broder Hansen: "Passenger Liners from Germany, 1816-1990", Schiffer Publishing Ltd, West Chester, PA, 1991.

This is one of my all-time favorite books on ocean and passenger liners. It is an English translation of the 1991 book Die Deutsche Passagierschiffe 1816-1990, originally published by Urbes Verlag, Munich, 1990. It includes small, easy to read articles on a wide range of ships from ocean liners to local passenger ships serving Northern Germany, to river boats in the Rhine and the Oder. Where else will you find a vivid picture of the wonderful 919-ton Prinzessin Heinrich that was doing the Hamburg to Helgoland route until 1923? Or the exceptional Silvana that was going to helgoland and Sylt before and after World War I? One will encounter even ships that became known later in Greece like the 1905 Hertha (see http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthread.php?p=181873), the Meteor (see http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=52271) and many others.

This is a sine qua non for any serious collector!

In the photos below, (from upper left), the 725-ton Gruessgott (1915-29; service Bremerhaven to Helgoland), the 1,916-tin Kaiser (1905-54; Hamburg-Helgoland-Sylt service), the 211-ton Föhr-Amrum (1908-58; service to the small island of Amrum), the 849-ton Bubenday (1913-86 (!); originally the Southampton tender of the Imperator (!), then in the Stettin service and from 1963-86 in Italy) and the 400-ton paddle steamer Delphin (1905-50; service between Bremerhaven and Wangerooge)

Hansen1.jpg

Hansen2.jpg

Προεπιλογή N.4. Dreschel: Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen Vol 1

N.4. Edwin Dreschel: Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen: 1857-1970 History, Fleet, Ship Mails: Vol 1, Cordillera Publishing Company, Vancouver, BC, 1994

What an incredible book, what a work of love... The two-volume book discusses the history of Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen with an account of any ship, no matter how big or small, no matter how far away she sailed... Volume 1 has 472 pages of incredibly rare photos, postcards, mail stamps, etc. Each ship is presented (see below) with an entry, including all her technical data and as many photos as the author might have...

What can you find in the book? What about the small "feeder" ships that were doing the Rabaul-New Guinea (page 380) when the region was a German colony before World War I? If you want to see "yachts" doing passenger work, this is your book!!!

NLB 1a.jpg

NLB 1b.jpg

Προεπιλογή N.5. Dreschel: Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen Vol 2

N.5. Edwin Dreschel: Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen: 1857-1970 History, Fleet, Ship Mails: Vol 2, Cordillera Publishing Company, Vancouver, BC, 1994

And here is Volumer 2 of the history of Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen. It has 678 pages! I purchased teh books in 2000 and the inner cover indicates $100 for both... By the way, Edwin Dreschel is an American whose father was a captain and then inspector for NDL in New York

NLB 2a.jpg

NLB 2b.jpg

Προεπιλογή N.6. Emmons: The Atlantic Liners

N.6. Frederick Emmons," The Atlantic Liners: 1925-70", Drake Publishers Inc, New York, NY, 1972.

This is a smart reference book of 160 pages with a nice tabulation of major liners that crossed the Atlantic during the important immigration years. Ships are presented by country and Line (see part of the Greek entry below). I have found it a valuable source of simple technical information. The ships are drawn rather than photographed!

Emmons.jpg

Emmons2.jpg

Προεπιλογή N.7. Anuta: Ships of our Ancestors

N.7. Michael J Anuta, "Ships of our Ancestors", Genealogical Publishing Co, Menominee, MI, 1983.

This is a most unusual book that I discovered only about a year ago! It is not written by a maritime expert but by a man who was looking for his European ancestors (and there are many of those in the USA). Of Ukranian ancestry, Michael Anuta was a Michigan lawyer who collected more than 2,000 photographs of emigrant ships. The pictures are not great reproductions (many are from the Peabody Museum of Salem, MA, and the Steamship Historical Society Collection of the Baltimore Museum in Maryland) but this is a treasure for forgotten ships, especially pre-1900 Liners ...

How forgotten? Here is a picture of Stephanides's Acropolis that Ellinis discussed earlier (see http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthr...t=51661&page=2)!

The book includes many Greek ships or ships of Greek-interest including Macedonia, Moreas, Byron, Olympia, Nea Hellas, Vasilefs Alexandros and many others.

Highly recommended!

Anuta1.jpg

Anuta2.jpg

Προεπιλογή N.8. Miller: Transatlantic Liners

N. 8. William H. Miller, "Transatlantic Liners: 1945-1980", Arco Publishing, Inc., 1981

This is the first book of Bill Miller, published when he was in his 30s... For those who do not know him, he is the premier maritime author in the USA and his numerous books with photographs have been published by Dover and others. Here we have a first rendition of future books with plenty of information, nicely classified by ship (see photos below). I show one of the pages of Greek ships with Nea Hellas and Arkadia. This one is needed only by those who want to have a complete library. About 220 pages and difficult to find (check E-bay though).

Miller.jpg

Miller2.jpg

Προεπιλογή N.9. Watson: Disasters at Sea

N.9. Milton H. Watson, "Disasters at Sea: Every Ocean-Going Passenger Ship Catastrophe since 1900", Patrick Stephens Ltd, Sparkford, UK, 1987.

This book is recognized as the premier book of disasters! Milton Watson died at teh age of 40, so Bill Miller helped with the second edition. Its graphic presentation of major disasters from that of Morro Castle to Atlantique, from Saale to Champollion and from Georges Phillipar to Normandie has fascinated everybody. The pictures are often frightening, as for example those shown below of Epirotiki's Oceanos (the wonderful Jean Laborde) going straight down (page 200) and the unfortunate Vera Cruz (page 201).

And does the Greek shipping family have disasters.... Count the ships presented: Athinai (1915), Thessaloniki (1916), Neptunia (1957), Brittany (1963), Lakonia (1963), Herakleion (1967), Heleanna (1971), Knossos (1973), Rasa Sayang (1977), Arion (1981), Mediterranean Star (1982), Atlantis (1983), Jupiter (1988), Melody (1990), Stella Polaris (1991), Pegasus (1991), Oceanos (1991), Fiesta (1991), Danae (1991), Pallas Athena (1994).

Disasters1.jpg

Disasters2.jpg

Σελίδα 1 από 12 12311 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία