Σελίδα 2 από 12 ΠρώτηΠρώτη 1234 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 11 έως 20 από 112

Θέμα: Ξενόγλωσσα ναυτιλιακά βιβλία [Foreign maritime books]

Προεπιλογή N.10. Williams: Transatlantic Liners

N. 10. David L. Williams, "Transatlantic Liners", Ian Allan Publishing, Hersham, Surrey, 2000.

This is a wonderful, compact book about Transatlantic Liners with strong emphasis on British ships. It has about 110 pages and a very well written text, mostly a history of ocean liners, the Blue Ribband, the fights between British and German ships, etc... A very welcome addition is that many of the pictures are in reality multicolored postcards, giving the book a superior appearance and impact.

This book is great fun to read!

Transatl1.jpg

Transatl2.jpg

Προεπιλογή N.11. Williams: Cunard

N. 11. David L. Williams, "Cunard", Ian Allan Publishing, Hersham, Surrey, 1998.

This is the sister book of the previous one and it discusses Cunarders. Sure there are many such books, but this one does it better because of its very well written text, and the multicolored postcards, that give the book again a superior appearance and impact.

This book is great fun to read!

Cunard.jpg

Cunard2.jpg

Προεπιλογή N.12. Wall: Ocean Liner Postcards

N.12. Robert Wall, "Ocean Liner Postcards", Antique Collectors Club, Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK, 1998.

This is a superb booklet and if you have not seen it you should do everything possible to get it. The "pictures" are incredible, all of them postcards in mint conditions... See below the quality of cards and text. Personally, i have learned a lot from this book and I open it and read it at least once every three months...

Wall1.jpg

Wall2.jpg

Wall3.jpg

Προεπιλογή N.3. Broder Hansen: Passenger Liners from Germany

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Nicholas Peppas Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    N.3. Claus Broder Hansen: "Passenger Liners from Germany, 1816-1990", Schiffer Publishing Ltd, West Chester, PA, 1991.
    In the photos below, (from upper left), the 725-ton Gruessgott (1915-29; service Bremerhaven to Helgoland), the 1,916-tin Kaiser (1905-54; Hamburg-Helgoland-Sylt service), the 211-ton Föhr-Amrum (1908-58; service to the small island of Amrum), the 849-ton Bubenday (1913-86 (!); originally the Southampton tender of the Imperator (!), then in the Stettin service and from 1963-86 in Italy) and the 400-ton paddle steamer Delphin (1905-50; service between Bremerhaven and Wangerooge)

Second page uploaded again correctly

Hansen2.jpg

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

Excellent thread Nikos, thanks a lot!!!

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Ellinis Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Excellent thread Nikos, thanks a lot!!!
    Thank you very much. More are coming. Every evening (US time) I will be uploading 6-7 new books from my collection

Προεπιλογή N.13. Batchelor and Grant: Steamships

N. 13: John Batchelor and Christopher Chant, "The Complete Encyclopedia of Steamships: Merchant Steamships 1798-2006", Rebo International, The Netherlands, 2007

This is a small book of 200+ pages that I bought a while ago * without much expectation. It turned out to be stronger than I expected. It contains two-page descriptions and "stories" of some important steamships from the last 200 years! The style is simple, refreshing and captivating... I recommend this booklet. To give you an idea of the presentation, here is a page with Calamares (1913)

______

*: Note: In the Southern USA we have a chain called "Half-Price Book Store". The chain offers overstock of books from the last few years. Their "transportation" section is always full of surprises. I think I paid $7 for this one...

Steamsh1.jpg

Steamsh2.jpg

Προεπιλογή N.14. Rikxoort and Guns: Holland-Amerika Lijn

N.14. Ronald van Rikxoort and Nico Guns, Holland-Amerika Lijn: Schepen van 'De Lijn' in beeld, Walsburg Pers, Zuphen, The Netherlands, 2006.

A truly great book on the ocean liners and other ships (mostly Holland-England) of the Holland-Amerika Line. Warning! This book is in Dutch. But it is well written and has great technical and other information about each ship listed. I bought it at Kruidvat http://entertainment.kruidvat.nl/pag...00322&token=-1 last October in Noorwick an Zee, the Netherlands. It was a leftover book. Kruidvat is a source of great historical and other books at a fraction of the cost (but only if in person; by Internet the prices are higher).

HollAmer1.jpg

HollAmer2.jpg

Προεπιλογή N.15. Cairis: Passenger Liners of the World Since 1893

N.15. Nicholas T. Cairis, Passenger Liners of the World Since 1893, Bonanza Press, New York, NY, 1979.

This is a classic book in the field! Nick Cairis started writing maritime books about 40 years ago and has amassed a good number of titles. His style is rather simple... One photograph per ship, usually one that presents her better than she is (!) followed by a good page of useful information. You will see three examples below (three "Greek ships") and you will understand! Queen Anna Maria, Lakonia and New York (former Nea Hellas). In the description of the third ship, Cairis mentions something that has always bothered me... British troops could not pronounce "Nea Hellas" and they were calling her "Nellie Wallace".

By the way, these days you can find this book for as low as $2 (plus shipping). See for example http://www.alibris.com

Cairis1.jpg

Cairis2.jpg

Cairis3.jpg

Cairis4.jpg
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 08-04-2009 στις 01:38

Προεπιλογή N. 15. Other Books by Nicholas T. Cairis

Nick Cairis wrote several other books... They include:

North Atlantic Passenger Liners since 1900 published in January 1972 by Allan, 224 pages.

Cruise Ships of the World published in January 1989 by Pegasus Books, 144 pages.

Era of the Passenger Liner published in May 1992 by Pegasus Books.

Σελίδα 2 από 12 ΠρώτηΠρώτη 1234 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία
  • [VIDEO] code is σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας HTML είναι εκτός λειτουργίας