Σελίδα 1 από 5 123 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 1 έως 10 από 41

Θέμα: Ελλάς [Ήρα Μ. - Valiant, Valiant II, Ira M, Hellas]

Προεπιλογή Ελλάς [Ήρα Μ. - Valiant, Valiant II, Ira M, Hellas]

VALIANT AND HELLAS 1

Valiant
    was one of the greatest yachts of the late 19th and the 20th century, a famous vessel the world all over that achieved doing transatlantic trips all by itself and with just her owner and his family... It is discussed and described in numerous books and articles and will remain in the history as a truly great yacht... Its Greek reincarnation was as Ira M of the Manuelides Line and then as Hellas of the Hellenic Coast Lines!

Hellas was built in 1893 (and completed in August 1893) at Laird Shipyards in Birkenhead, close to Liverpool. She was named Valiant and her owner was W. K. Vanderbilt. At the time she was built, she was one of the biggest yachts in the world with a tonnage of 1,823 tons. By comparison (although an unfair one) seh would be bigger than any Greek passenger liner 70 years later (1963) except for Philippos and Angelika! She had a length of 93.8 meters and a width of 11.9 meters. Her service speed was 17.3 knots! Here is a very early picture of hers from 1895.

Valiant Hellas.jpg

And here is a wonderful article in the New York Times of August 26, 1893, a few days after her completion, describing her glorious interior in detail. She had just arrived in the USA.

V1.jpg
    V2.jpg
    V3.jpg
    V4.jpg
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 07-07-2009 στις 05:55

Προεπιλογή

VALIAN AND HELLAS 2

Valiant
    was one of the greatest yachts of the late 19th and the 20th century, a famous vessel the world all over that achieved doing transatlantic trips all by itself and with just her owner and his family... Its Greek reincarnation was as Ira M of the Manuelides Line and then as Hellas of the Hellenic Coast Lines!
    I am continuing here with the New York Times 1893 article
    V5.jpg
    V6.jpg
    V7.jpg
    V8.jpg

Several years later, in 1900, she was still a novelty. read below from the New York Times how she did her transatlantic travel. The Vandrbilts knew how to travel

Valiant.jpg
    Valiant NYTimes.jpg

In 1915 she was requisitioned by the British Navy and was named Valiant II. I have not identified where she went after World War I but I know she was acquired by Manuelides Line in Greece as Ira M in 1928. Here she is in July 1930 doing the run Piraeus, Chios, Mytilene!

July 17 1930.jpg

And then, in 1933 she was bought by Elliniki Aktoploïa, named Hellas, painted her white (in 1935) and made her the ship many loved... She was lost during the German bombardment of Piraeus on April 23, 1941, age 48!
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 25-10-2009 στις 17:16

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

Το ΕΛΛΑΣ ήταν ίσως το ομορφότερο ακτοπλοϊκό της εποχής. Ίσως σε αυτό να ανήκει και ο τίτλος του πρώτου ελληνικού κρουαζιερόπλοιου! μιας και από το 1935 μετετράπηκε για αυτό το σκοπό, πάντα υπό την πλοιοκτησία της Ακτοπλοϊας Ελλάδος.
    Δεν έχω καταφέρει να βρω μέχρι σήμερα ποιές ήταν οι κρουαζιέρες που έκανε...

Όταν όμως ξέσπασε ο πόλεμος του 40, η μοίρα του ήταν άσχημη. Βυθίστηκε στο λιμάνι του Πειραιά με πολύ μεγάλες ανθρώπινες απώλειες, υπολογίζεται πως 400 ως 750 άτομα χάθηκαν μαζί του.

clip_image002.gif
    πηγή

clip_image0012.jpg
    πηγή

Σύμφωνα με το Lloyds War Casualties, το ναυάγιο του πλοίου ανατινάχθηκε.

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Ellinis Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Το ΕΛΛΑΣ ήταν ίσως το ομορφότερο ακτοπλοϊκό της εποχής. Ίσως σε αυτό να ανήκει και ο τίτλος του πρώτου ελληνικού κρουαζιερόπλοιου! μιας και από το 1935 μετετράπηκε για αυτό το σκοπό, πάντα υπό την πλοιοκτησία της Ακτοπλοϊας Ελλάδος.
    Δεν έχω καταφέρει να βρω μέχρι σήμερα ποιές ήταν οι κρουαζιέρες που έκανε...

Όταν όμως ξέσπασε ο πόλεμος του 40, η μοίρα του ήταν άσχημη. Βυθίστηκε στο λιμάνι του Πειραιά με πολύ μεγάλες ανθρώπινες απώλειες, υπολογίζεται πως 400 ως 750 άτομα χάθηκαν μαζί του.
    Thanks Ari. In fact here is a photo of Hellas (not in good condition) from the 1933-35 period under Akroploia before she became white. It is also repeated in Tzamtzis' Efoplistis insert

Hellas2.jpg

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

Και κάτι που βρήκα από το 1914 που το χρησιμοποιούσαν σαν περιπολικό

The steam-yacht Valiant, under the command of Admiral Barlow (one of a good many retired flag officers who had volunteered for this, or other, perilous work), on passage up the coast on her way to Cromarty, struck a mine near Filey, disabling both her propellers and rudder; she soon began to leak badly. Two trawlers, at no mean risk, crossed the mine-field to her assistance, bringing her to anchor off Scarborough. This action was all the more meritorious since it was low water at the time. Next day the Valiant was taken in tow by the steam-yacht Eileen, commanded by Admiral Sir Alfred Paget, who had also returned to the Service on the outbreak of war. After temporary repairs in the Humber, she was towed down the North Sea and English Channel and up the Irish Sea for overhaul.

Πηγή: THE MERCHANT NAVY Vol. I, by ARCHIBALD KURD

Προεπιλογή

As Ira M, she did rather long routes for the Manouelides Line. Here she is in the Patras, Corfu, Aghioi Saranta (!), Brindisi route on July 20.1929

Ira M July 20 1929.jpg

This is Hellas in a water painting of Antonis Milanos from http://museum.yen.gr/Photos/Paintings/21.htm

Hellas.jpg

One more photograph of Hellas

Hellas.jpg

Photograph of Hellasfrom the A. Tzamtzis booklet on the Greek Coastal Lines given as an insert of Efoplistis in 1997.

Hellas.jpg

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

Mια ακόμη φωτο του ΕΛΛΑΣ υπάρχει εδώ, βαμμένο μαύρο ακόμη, όταν έκανε πλοές προς Πρίντεζι.

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Ellinis Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Mια ακόμη φωτο του ΕΛΛΑΣ υπάρχει εδώ, βαμμένο μαύρο ακόμη, όταν έκανε πλοές προς Πρίντεζι.
    Ari

I know this postcard. It ha sbeen up on Simplon's Website for some time now. I do not agree with the person who wrote the comments. This is not Hellas. Neither the Venetian buildings nor the "cut" of the ship on the right match Hellas. This is a 1949 or 1950 photo, retouched and repainted. By that time our Hellas did not exist!
    http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/WhatShipQueries.html
    Unknown Vessel at Brindisi Can anyone identify the ship on the right at Brindisi? Burkhard Schütt writes:- The location is Brindisi and the first ship seems to be Adriatica's Barletta. First I have thought the second vessel with a clipper bow is the Greek Hellas, Birkenhead-built as a yacht for Mr Vanderbilt as the Valiant. There are some simularities. But if so, she must have been rebuilt.

Προεπιλογή

Ανεβάζω μια φωτογραφία του πλοίου σαν ΗΡΑ Μ.

hra m.jpg

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από T.S.S. APOLLON Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Ανεβάζω μια φωτογραφία του πλοίου σαν ΗΡΑ Μ.
    Anexantlhtos Appolwn!

Σελίδα 1 από 5 123 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία
  • [VIDEO] code is σε λειτουργία