Σελίδα 1 από 14 12311 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 1 έως 10 από 136

Θέμα: Φίλιππος [Empress Queen, Queen Eagle, Philippos]

Προεπιλογή Φίλιππος [Empress Queen, Queen Eagle, Philippos]

It is so unusual that there has not been a thread yet for one of the great Greek passenger ships of the post-war passenger ship…. Yes, I know that pictures of this boat have appeared in the K-Line thread and elsewhere, but don’t you think we should combine everything together?

Philippos in Piraeus in all its glory!
    FilipposNew.jpg

What a good looking ship, what a handsome ship Philippos was… {I know, I know, ships are female, but Philippos was a prince!}. From 1955 to 1972 she graced the Greek waters… What a great tribute to Philippos Kavounides the founder of this great company, whose name this ship took!

Philippos was launched as Empress Queen by Ailsa Shipbuilding at Troon, Scotland on February 29th, 1940. She had 1,781 tons, a length of 85.9 m and a width of 11.5 m. A big ship in those days! And what a glorious ship… She had an exceptional 20 knot service speed which made her the fastest passenger ship in Greece all the way to 1965! {{Dear friends, with all due respect I do not understand why you are so excited about Adonis and not about Philippos!}}

She had been ordered by Campbell as a fast ship in the South England to France routes. But the war did not allow this. Instead she served during the war as a troopship, particularly between Stranraer and Larne.

Here is her Miramar entry (Miramar reversed the first two names and I have corrected this here.

IDNo: 5277270 Year: 1940
    Name: EMPRESS QUEEN Launch Date: 29.2.40
    Type: Passenger ship Date of completion: 7.40
    Flag: GBR Keel:
    Tons: 1781 Link: 1015
    DWT: Yard No: 430
    Length overall: Ship Design:
    LPP: 85.9 Country of build: GBR
    Beam: 11.5 Builder: Ailsa
    Location of yard: Troon
    Number of screws/Mchy/
    Speed(kn): 2ST-20
    Owner as Completed: P.& A.Campbell Ltd, Bristol
    Subsequent History: 40 EMPRESS QUEEN - 43 QUEEN EAGLE - 46 EMPRESS QUEEN 55 PHILIPPOS
    Disposal Data: fire & explosion Piraeus 23.2.72 & bu
    From 1947 to 1950 she was put on the English South Coast service among smaller resorts in the area including Brighton and others, but she was too large and found to be poorly manouvrable. Thus, she was moved to Torquay on the South Devon coast in 1951 for longer cruises, especially to the Channel Islands. These routes were not sufficiently profitable.

Empress Queen in 1940
    Empress Queen 1940.jpg

Empress Queen in Swansea in 1947
    Empress Quenn Philippos in Swansea 1947.jpg
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 15-05-2009 στις 01:30

Προεπιλογή

Empress Queen in 1946
    philippos1.jpg

Queen Eagle during the war
    Queen Eagle during war.jpg

How great for us! The Empress Queen was sold to Kabounides Line leaving Bristol on April 3, 1955. She was re-engined with diesels and named Philippos.

Philippos5.jpg

All sources write:
    Destroyed by Fire - 23/02/1972
    Reduced to a burnt out wreck after a fire ignited during maintenance work
    Spare me the memory... I know you have photos... Please do not show them..

If you want to keep the memory alive, what about uploading the great photo of Philippos in front of the Piazza di San Marco of Venice? I do not have it.

Προεπιλογή Schedules of Philippos

And here are various schedules of Philippos

19550812 Kavounides Phil.jpg 19550824b Phil.jpg 19590812d Kav Phil.jpg
    August 12, 1955 .........................August 24, 1955 .....................August 12, 1959

19620811d Kav.jpg 19630811e Kav Phil.jpg
    August 11, 1962........................ August 11, 1963

Προεπιλογή

E/Γ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΣ
    Νηολόγιο Πειραιώς 1286

O205.jpg

23 Φεβρουαρίου του 1972 ενώ εκτελούσε επισκευαστικές εργασίες στον Αγ. Γεώργιο Κερατσινίου, έπιασε φωτιά, υπαίτια θεωρήθηκε κάποια φιάλη οξυγόνου. Οι φιλότιμες προσπάθειες που έγιναν για την κατάσβεση της πυρκαγιάς δεν απέδωσαν. Ρυμουλκά τότε οδήγησαν το πλοίο στην Πούντα της Σαλαμίνας. Εκεί η φωτιά ολοκλήρωσε το καταστροφικό της έργο και κατέστρεψε το Φίλιππος.

O206.jpg

Το Φίλιππος σε καρτ ποστάλ της εταιρείας Κ - LINES.

O207.jpg

Άλλη μια φωτογραφία του Φίλιππος, Νεοφερμενο στο λιμανι του πειραια Απριλιος 1955.
    O208.jpg

Πηγή: Περιοδικό ΕΦΟΠΛΙΣΤΗΣ

Προεπιλογή

A nice framed ad of Philippos among all other, plain ads of August 14, 1958 in Kathimerini obviously attracts someone's attention.

19580814 Philippos.jpg

And when the voyage is to magic places like Venice, then there is no question we will go, provided our budget allows it...

This is "the famous" photo of Philippos in front of the Piazza di San Marco of Venice. This is a carelessly taken picture from page 290 of the second volume of the (Greek) Encyclopedia Papyros Larousse of 1963. If you have a nice, clear copy of this one (in bigger size), please upload it.

Philippos in Venezia.jpg

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από T.S.S. APOLLON Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Άλλη μια φωτογραφία του Φίλιππος

O208.jpg

Πηγή: Περιοδικό ΕΦΟΠΛΙΣΤΗΣ
    Thanks a lot for all the great pictures. I knew "you would come through". By the way, in the last photo, why is the name written like this? Fake pictures, poor painting job, just starting the change to the white Philippos? What?
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Ellinis : 10-05-2017 στις 22:25 Αιτία: 2 -> 1

Προεπιλογή

Nicholas, the picture of the black hulled Philippos was taken right after it was bought by Kavounidis, before the conversion.

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από TSS QUEEN ANNA MARIA Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Nicholas, the picture of the black hulled Philippos was taken right after it was bought by Kavounidis, before the conversion.
    Thanks a lot! N

Προεπιλογή

Απόκομα από την εφημερίδα ΑΠΟΓΕΥΜΑΤΙΝΗ, σχετικά με τη φωτιά στο Φίλιππος. 23 Φεβρουαριου 1972.

O214.jpg
    O214β.jpg
    O215.jpg
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη T.S.S. APOLLON : 15-05-2009 στις 19:49

Προεπιλογή

Tι λεμε τωρα!Αυτα ουτε στον υπνο μας δεν τα ειχαμε δει! Σιγουρα ο χρηστης GIANNHSMANTZOURIS που ειναι φαν του φιλιππος θα παθει πλακα σημερα

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από T.S.S. APOLLON Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Άλλη μια φωτογραφία του Φίλιππος, Νεοφερμενο στο λιμανι του πειραια Απριλιος 1955.
    O208.jpg
    APOLLON, I believe this is another shot of two ships the same week, or a few days apart, during their conversion in 1955!

This is a 1955 photograph of Teti just bought and painted by Typaldos, but still with her old name. To her right, the very dark, very dirty Empress Queen has arrived from the UK and its conversion has started. Kavounides did one thing immediately! He changed her name to Philippos using some white paint as background and painting the name on top!

Both of them were wonderful British vessels that served the Greek seas quite well as Adriatiki and Philippos

Teti and Philippos.jpg

Σελίδα 1 από 14 12311 ... ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία
  • [VIDEO] code is σε λειτουργία