Σελίδα 2 από 4 ΠρώτηΠρώτη 1234 ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 11 έως 20 από 36

Θέμα: Λίνα Α. [Lina A., Floreana]

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

Very interesting postcard Dimas! thank you for sharing this.
    I agree with TSS QAM that the hull lines of LINA A. and KEPHALINIA have a lot of similarities, there was definetely some influence between them.

Προεπιλογή

Also, Aris, there is a strong influence especially in the bridge-funnel design from the Diapoulis's Hellas passenger ferry, after its radical reconstruction.
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη TSS QUEEN ANNA MARIA : 26-05-2010 στις 14:54

Περιοχή
    Gibraltar

Προεπιλογή Lina A

Dimas, Aris and QAM sorry the picture is'nt much of an improvement in fact I think its taken at Piraeus (background seems familiar although its not very clear) and the brochure did'nt have a deck plan after all, my mistake.

She was a good looking little cruiser with very racy lines!

Anyway I think Aris has seen this already
    Cheers
    Henry.

scan0539.jpg

scan0540.jpg

Προεπιλογή Lina-A: More information and her untimely end

Our friend TSS QUEEN ANNA MARIA requested today any additional information about the ship Lina-A. I am glad to oblige by providing some yet unknown information.

The ship Lina-A was built in Perama in 1966 under the name Lina-A. It was a 200 ft yacht with 28 cabins and was intended for luxury cruises of short duration in the Aegean. the internationally known designer Maurice Bailey was commissioned by Holiday Lines of Piraeus (to whom the ship belonged) to outfit the ship. Bailey was the designer that did all the rooms and common halls designs of the Athens Hilton that was built in 1963 and later the Rodos Palace Hotel. Bailey was promoted then as follows : "the famous American hotel designer Maurice Bailey, who during his career created 50 top hotels and private homes of famous personalities such as Conrad Hilton, Kirk Douglas and Loretta Young as well as Palaces including that of the Emperor Shah of Iran". By the late 1960s Bailey had become a desired designer by continuing to design the interiors for several ships!!!

Indeed, Lina-A was placed in Saronicos but also in Cyclades for 2-5 day cruises.

Lina A.jpg

The company Holiday Lines of Piraeus encountered significant financial problems in 1968 as a result of the aftermath of the Greek dictatorship and the unwillingness of rich US visitors to spend their vacation in Greece.

Thus, the ship was transferred to Ecuador in 1969. The Website http://www.adventure-associates.com/...sp?id_page=284 describes this transfer in a very romantic way...
    Back to 1969, the Lina-A, a luxury 60 passenger Greek yacht, crossed the Mediterranean Sea, the Atlantic Ocean, the Panama Canal and anchored for several days on the Guayas River, in front of Ecuador’s main seaport and largest city, Guayaquil, while the legal paperwork, permits and other formalities were accomplished, before it set sail across the Pacific now, into those islands of legend, ready to start its historical mission: the beginning of regular organized scale and quality tourism in Galapagos.
    E1.jpg

Lina-A was not the first ship to start contributing to tourism in teh Galapagos islands. The first tourist vessel in Galapagos was the three-masted schooner Golden Cachalot which arrived from Plymouth, England in 1969.

E2.jpg

Lina-A was operated by Metropolitan Touring was and still is an accredited South American travel Agency and Galapagos Islands tour operator with, now, 57 years of experience. Metropolitan Touring built also small piers in the islands for the visitors. The inauguration of the Lina-A took place on December 4, 1969 in Guayaquil in the presence .... of Ecuadorian President Velasco Ibarra. Three days later Lina-A arrived in Baltra island in the middle of the Galapagos. Her first cruise had been chartered by the Sierra Club (for those who are not familiar with US organizations, Sierra Club is the most prominent environmental organization).

E3.jpg

The ship remained with Metropolitan Touring until 1972 when she was bought by TRANSNAVE and named Floreana after the name of one of the Galapagos islands. She was then leased by Metropolitan Touring.

Regrettably, on September 1, 1975 the Floreana sank 60 miles off the coast of Ecuador (cause unknown) but without loss of life. Rescue was difficult because of the national emergency due to the uprising of General Raúl González Alvear against the dictatorship of President Gulliermo Rodríguez Lara (see http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guiller...C3%ADguez_Lara), an uprising that took place on August 30, 1975.
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 27-05-2010 στις 06:47

Προεπιλογή

Nicholas, thank you so much for the info regarding Lina A and the facts of her positioning trip to the Pacific. As I mention above, little is known for the yachtlike cruise ship which I did visit at Hydra in 1967 or 1968 when a friend of my parents was a passenger on board. She was very small compared with other cruise ships I had visited before, but very intimate. I remember she had a small lounge and a tiny dining room. Deck space was minimal and most of the accommodation was occupied by cabins, in fact the whole main deck. Typical greek design of the 60's she was rather a good looking ship. I used to have a Greek islands cruise brochure of the late 60's which is regrettably gone, thrown away in the 70's.

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

I remembered an article at an old magazine, where it wrote that the builder of LINA M. was Kamitsis & Galatis, hence the similarities with KEPHALINIA.

Some further details: LINA M. was owned by V. Athanasoulas and the gala opening was held on April 23. Her maiden voyage was a 15-day cruise - on charter - which begun on April 28 from Freatyda.

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Ellinis Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    I remembered an article at an old magazine, where it wrote that the builder of LINA M. was Kamitsis & Galatis, hence the similarities with KEPHALINIA.

Some further details: LINA M. was owned by V. Athanasoulas and the gala opening was held on April 23. Her maiden voyage was a 15-day cruise - on charter - which begun on April 28 from Freatyda.
    Where do you find all this information???? Bravo!

Περιοχή
    Αθήνα

Προεπιλογή

Σε παλιό τεύχος του περιοδικού ΑΡΓΩ

Προεπιλογή

Να προσθέσω μία σκαναρισμένη έγχρωμη φωτογραφία του Λίνα Α., μιας και δεν υπάρχουν πολλές φωτογραφίες του, από το περιοδικό ΕΦΟΠΛΙΣΤΗΣ από το αρχείο του κυρίου Π. Λελέκη. Είναι η ίδια που εμφανίζεται στην διαφημιστική μπροσούρα του ανέβασε ο Henry.

Lina1.jpg

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Ellinis Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
    Σε παλιό τεύχος του περιοδικού ΑΡΓΩ
    Και το παλιο τευχος του περιοδικου ΑΡΓΩ εγραφε...
    Απριλιος 1967

skanarisma0001.jpg

Σελίδα 2 από 4 ΠρώτηΠρώτη 1234 ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία