Σελίδα 1 από 2 12 ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων σε εξέλιξη 1 έως 10 από 15

Θέμα: Ήπειρος [Μελπομένη - Lady Olive, Epiros, Melpomeni]

Προεπιλογή Ήπειρος [Μελπομένη - Lady Olive, Epiros, Melpomeni]

Epiros/Melpomeni was another passenger/cargo ship that was extremely active in the 1910s and very early 1920s. We owe a lot about her life to a wonderful Greek Web site http://www.ergani.org.gr/ergani/show...nt?unitid=0396 that contains important documents of the Kourtzis family. It appears that they were planning to buy her, so they had numerous brochures and other documents.

Epiros/Melpomeni was built as Lady Olive at the Inglis Shipyards in Pointhouse in December 1878. She had 1,031 tons, a length of 76.1 m and a width of 9.2 m. She belonged to the British and Irish Steam Packet Co from 1879 to roughly 1911. See also http://www.irish-ferries-enthusiasts.com/biline.php

In 1878 the company increased its capital by £20,000, and launched their last iron screw steamer, the Lady Olive (1,013 tons), she was sold to Greek interests in 1910. In the same year the company also acquired limited liability, and moved its offices to Sir John Rogerson's Quay.
    It is interesting that the same British and Irish Steam Packet Co had another ship, Lady Martin, that made it to Greece as Naxos/Miaoulis. See http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=70156

Here is a nice photograph of hers

Lady Olive.jpg

It appears that just before World War I, Lady Olive was up for sale at the ripe age of 31, so a brochure was prepared... Here is that brochure!

LO1.jpg
    LO2.jpg

Here are Lady Olive's plans

Lady Olive plan.jpg

Readers are warned that by 1911 Lady Olive had been sold and "replaced" at her original owners by another Lady Olive (710 tons) that -unfortunately- had a very short history as she sank at St Malo in 1917 (see http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/WWI%20LOSSES-L.htm)

Schedule of Lady Olive in the 1890s

Lady Martin Lady Olive.jpg
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Ellinis : 22-08-2013 στις 20:26

Προεπιλογή Her Greek Days as Epiros and Melpomeni (1911-1921)

Miramar gives a detailed presentation of the ship

Name Tons Change Main Owner
    LADY OLIVE 1031 1879 British & Irish SP
    IPIROS 1031 1911 G.Yannoulato Bros
    EPIROS 1031 1915 G.Yannoulato Bros
    MELPOMENI 1031 1921 P.M.Lemos

IDNo: 1077399 Year: 1879
    Name: LADY OLIVE Launch Date: 10.12.78
    Type: Passenger/cargo Date of completion: 2.79
    Flag: GBR Keel:
    Tons: 1031 Link: 1566
    DWT: 0 Yard No: 150
    Length overall: Ship Design:
    LPP: 76.1 Country of build: GBR
    Beam: 9.2 Builder: Inglis
    Material of build: I Location of yard: Pointhouse
    Number of screws/Mchy/ Speed(kn): 1C-
    Owner as Completed: British & Irish S.P.Co Ltd, Dublin
    Subsequent History: 11 IPIROS - 15 EPIROS - 20 MELPOMENI
    Disposal Data: mined between Lodos Point & Cape Baba 10.3.21
    The ship came to Greece in 1911 as a ship of the Ionian Shipping Co of Yannoulatos and was named Epirus. She was changed to the Lemos company and named Melpomeni.

It is during those days that I found one or two of her ads for passenger travel (!) to the Azof Sea, ads that I have -unfortunately- lost since then... Miramar claims she was mined between Lodos Point & Cape Baba (in the straits between Methymna and Turkey) in March 1921
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 08-09-2009 στις 23:41

Προεπιλογή More on Lady Olive and Lady MArtin

Παράθεση Αρχική Δημοσίευση από Nicholas Peppas Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων

Epiros/Melpomeni was built as Lady Olive at the Inglis Shipyards in Pointhouse in December 1878. She had 1,031 tons, a length of 76.1 m and a width of 9.2 m. She belonged to the British and Irish Steam Packet Co from 1879 to roughly 1911. See also http://www.irish-ferries-enthusiasts.com/biline.php

It is interesting that the same British and Irish Steam Packet Co had another ship, Lady Martin, that made it to Greece as Naxos/Miaoulis. See http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=70156

The British and Irish Steam Packet Co was formed in 1836 and had a strong presence in the seas between England and Ireland. A very nice and short article about the company appeared in the 1910 (off-copyright) book "Steam-ships, the story of their development to the present day" by R.A. Fletcher, J.P. Lippincott Co, Philadelphia, 1910.

The article includes discussion of two ships that came to Greece in the 1910s..
    Lady Olive (later Epiros of Yannoulatos and Melpomeni"
    Lady Martin (later Naxos and Miaoulis) http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=70156
    Lady Hudson-Kinahan (later Elsie) http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=68474

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Προεπιλογή

Schedule of Lady Olive from 1905
    Source: Black's guide to Ireland by Adam and Charles Black, Black, London, 1906

B&I.jpg

Προεπιλογή

I would like to add some more items about Lady Olive/ Epiros/ Melpomeni because of significant new interest in this ship from our friends in Turkey where the ship sank in 1921

THE SHIP AS LADY OLIVE

As Lady Olive, the ship was extremely well known and loved in the British world. She was launched on December 12, 1878 at the Inglis Shipyards in Pointhouse, Glasgow, Scotland. She had 1,031 tons, a length of 76.1 m and a width of 9.2 m.

She belonged to the British and Irish Steam Packet Co from 1879 to roughly 1910. She was the last iron screw steamer! This was of course a curse as in the 1890s and 1900s she became a very expensive to operate ship... She was not going more than 12 knots.

See several documents about that time as posted above. One of them is a copy of the ad placed by the London brokers in 1910 when they were trying to sell her... The price she was offered for at that time was 6,250 Sterling pounds.

She belonged to British & Irish Steam Packet Co, Ltd, and was doing trips from London and Liverpool to Dublin (see attached; the ship is NOT the Lady Olive)

Brit Irish.jpg

Above on this subject you see a nice vacation schedule of Lady Olive from the summer 1905 from “Black's guide to Ireland” by Adam and Charles Black, Black, London, 1906 (B&I.jpg)

Προεπιλογή

I would like to add some more items about Lady Olive/ Epiros/ Melpomeni because of significant new interest in this ship from our friends in Turkey where the ship sank in 1921

THE SHIP AS EPIROS

The ship Lady Olive was withdrawn from service in 1910 and was sold to the Ionian Shipping Co of the Yannoulatos Bros, Piraues, Greece (Navigation a Vapeur Ionienne de G. Yannoulato Freres). The Yannoulatos family comes from the Ionian island of Kefallonia and was active in domestic passenger service and international shipping from 1890 (they are still active in Piraeus under a different name).

Around 1909, Yannoulatos started buying old British passenger ships that he brought to Greece for the domestic service, ie, Aegean islands, Volos and Chalkis, plus Ionian islands... Slowly, they extended to international passenger travel, mostly to Brindisi, Istanbul, Constanta (Romania) and Odessa. Such old British ships included (see nautilia.gr and my articles there) Chrysallis, Naukratoussa, Atromitos, Kefallinia, Yperohi and of courses Epiros

Here is an ad from a Greek newspaper of March 22, 1913 showing the “speedy and electrically lighted" (as the ad says) ship going from Piraeus to the island of Tenos

19130322 Epiros.jpg

Here is another ad from October 20, 1913 when our ship is shown going to Chalkis, Volos and Thessaloniki

19131020 Epirus.jpg

Either the ship was doing really well or (because of the Balkan wars and the First World War) all the better ships had been taken by the Greek Navy because on December 29, 1913 we find this ad that announces the ship doing the “Brindisi Line”. The schedule was” departure from Piraeus at 9:00 am to Patras, Corfu, Santi Quaranta (Albania) and Brindisi (Italy).

19131229 Epiros.jpg

But the ship was too expensive to run and by 1915 she had been replaced by Atromitos (the 1889 Antelope http://www.nautilia.gr/forum/showthr...ight=atromitos ) in the line to Brindisi.

Προεπιλογή

THE SHIP AS THE CARGO SHIP EPIROS/MELPOMENI

In 1917 she was bought by N.J. Lyras of Piraeus and converted into a cargo ship, presumably under the same name. The Lyras family, now in London, had many cargo ships.

In 1920 she was bought by P.M.Lemos, Piraeus. The Lemos family was from Oinoussai or Oinousses (http://www.oinousses.com/index2.html ) That’s when she received the name Melpomeni from the wife of P. Lemos

The ship struck a mine outside of “cape Baba”, i.e. Babakale, on March 3, 1921. After one hour she sank...

Here is an article from Embros of March 4 clearly stating that the telegram announcing the ship's sinking was on March 3, 1921

19210304 Melpomeni.jpg

Also there was a major editorial of the editor of Embros, Mr Kalapothakis on March 5, 1921

19210305 Melpomeni.jpg

Here is a Greek article from the newspaper Embros of March 7, 1921 which says “THE CREW OF MELOPMENI” A newer telegram received yesterday in Piraeus announced that the crew of the Greek cargo ship Melpomeni, which sank as it is well known at Dardanellia after hitting a mine, was saved entirely under captain Lemos and is expected in Piraeus"... Thus, no casualties.

19210307 Melpomeni.jpg
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 11-07-2010 στις 06:58

Προεπιλογή

Προ ολιγων ημερων ο Κος Savaş Karakaş που διαβασε τα αρθρα για το Ηπειρος/Μελπομενη με πληροφορησε οτι εχουν γινει ηδη ναυαγιοκαταδυσεις στον χωρο που βυθιστηκε το Μελπομενη. Μαλιστα μου εστειλαν και σχετικα βιντεο.

Σημερα το πρωι, Κυριακη 11 Ιουλιου 2010, γινεται νεα ναυαγιοκαταδυση στην θεση που βρεθηκε το πλοιο, στο ακρωτηριο Babakale απο τους Savaş Karakaş και Engin Aygun (φωτογραφο).

A few days ago, Mr Savaş Karakaş who read the articles on Epiros/Melpomeni approached me and informed me that there have been already dives at the site of the sinking of Melpomeni. In fact, he sent me a few photos from the dives.

This morning, Sunday, July 11, 2010, there will be another major dive at the site of the shipwreck, at Babakale, by Savaş Karakaş and Engin Aygun (photographer)

Savaş Karakaş is a documentary producer and host of a diving program on the Turkish documentary channel IZ TV. His next episode will cover Melpomeni. Her decks are now at 54 meters and keel at 63 meters deep in the Aegean at the location known as Babakale (NW of Mithymnna. Lesvos; watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coReQxJFH4A; see map below).
    Babakale.jpg

He has allowed me to upload three underwater stills (with the permission of the photographer Engin Aygun).

Babakale 03.jpg

Babakale 04.jpg

Was Melpomeni carrying Bugattis to Turkey when she hit a mine and sank?

Savaş Karakaş goes on to indicate something truly fantastic about Melpomeni!. He says: “We see some cars on her decks. What is the story of these cars?... Can they really be Bugatti? “
    In fact, on one of his Websites, one finds reference to that story.

In http://www.iztv.com.tr/program.aspx?id=1131 we read
    1921 yılında batmış karanlık bir gemi...
    Türkiye’nin en fazla dalış kazasına ve can kaybına sebep olmuş batığı...
    Babakale’de 54 metre derinlikte yatıyor...

Savaş Karakaş Sudaki İzler’de, 1878 yılı sonlarında İngiltere’de denize indirilen orjinal adı “Lady Olive” olan geminin saklı geçmişinin peşine düşüyor.

1911’de IPIROS, 1915’te EPIROS ve 1920’de MELPOMENI isimlerini alan gemi, son nefesini 10 Mart 1921 günü mayın çarpması sonucu verdi. Boyu 75 metre, eni 9 metre olan 1058 gros ton ağırlığındaki kargo ve yolcu gemisi uzun yıllar dalışa yasak saha içerisinde kaldığı için gizemini bugüne kadar korumayı başardı.

Selçuk Kolay tarafından 70’li yıllarda dalınan enkaz, bugün en gelişmiş sualtı görüntüleme cihazları ve teknik dalışla büyüteç altına alınıyor. Tabii sadece gemi değil, geminin yükü olan Bugatti otomobiller de…
    Temmuz’da Sudaki İzler’de...
    In his last message, last night, Savaş told me: “I must research more for the cars. Maybe there is even more valuable cargo in the holds. Unfortunately 3 divers died on this shipwreck previously, so I can not force it too much. It is too dark and too deep”

Well.... the last photo clearly shows the remains of a car on the ship! And a close comparison with the 1921 Bugatti Brescia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23sxLKW9DD0) gives similarities of dimensions!!!

Good luck to him today....

Babakale 01.jpg
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Ellinis : 22-08-2013 στις 20:27

Προεπιλογή

Savaş Karakaş went down to the ship on Sunday. He reports that Melpomeni's wreck is broken! They have filmed her from the bow to her iron screw and rudder. And Savaş indicates: "As you will also see in the documentary (I am preparing) there is more damage in the aft due to hitting bottom first presumably.
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 23-07-2010 στις 07:50

Προεπιλογή Melpomeni in TV!!! ΜΕΛΠΟΜΕΝΗ στην IZTV

Εχουμε λαβει πληροφορια απο τον κυριο Savaş Karakaş στην Κωνσταντινουπολη οτι το Τουρκικο καναλι IZ TV (digiturk Ch. 18 ) θα παρουσιασει ενα ντοκυμαντερ για το πλοιο ΜΕΛΠΟΜΕΝΗ και το ναυαγιο του. Οι ωρες ειναι τοπικες Κωνσταντινουπολεως

30.07.2010 Παρασκευη 22:00
    31.07.2010 Σαββατο 13:10
    01.08.2010 Κυριακη 21:55
    02.08.2010 Δευτερα 09:00
    04.08.2010 Τεταρτη 14:00

Η πληρης Τουρκικη ομαδα παρουσιαζεται εδω http://www.iztv.com.tr/IzYuzleri.aspx... Ειναι ενδιαφερον οτι η Σελιν που αναφερεται εδω ειναι Ελληνo−τουρκικης καταγωγης. Οι γονεις της ειναι απο την Κρητη και την Ξανθη.

We received word from Mr Savaş Karakaş in Istanbul that a recent documentary on MELPOMENI and her shipwreck a well as the recent dives to check her will be shown by the Turkish TV Channel IZ TV (digiturk Ch. 18 ). Please find below their broadcast details.

30.07.2010 Friday 22:00
    31.07.2010 Saturday 13:10
    01.08.2010 Sunday 21:55
    02.08.2010 Monday 09:00
    04.08.2010 Wed. 14:00

For more information & trailer: http://www.iztv.com.tr/program.aspx?id=1131

The automobiles seen on the ship and mentioned above turn out to be Austins, not Bugattis
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Nicholas Peppas : 30-07-2010 στις 05:15

11. 04-08-2010, 01:46

Σελίδα 1 από 2 12 ΤελευταίαΤελευταία

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές

• Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε νέα θέματα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε απαντήσεις
  • Δεν μπορείτε να αναρτήσετε συνημμένα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τις αναρτήσεις σας
  •  
  • BB code είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Τα Smilies είναι σε λειτουργία
  • Ο κώδικας [IMG] είναι σε λειτουργία